Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius Sestertius head to head. [Contest over, winner declared]  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
I've been reading this last string of posts and thought to say something constructive to help.  Personally I have had a few quite rude comment shot at me from some of my posts here on the forum, and being fairly new it somewhat soured my interest.  I think that it is not always 'what' one says but 'how' they say it that will yield a positive or negative reaction.

In our age of technology it has become easier to overlook or even care about politeness, but concerning most of these seemingly negative posts it would seem like the approach is to blame.  I'll avoid any real example on purpose, and hope that Sam sees that Alex is trying hard to be nice.

Matt

I actually think that everyone in this thread is nice, and was trying to be nice. Especially to the other thread participants.

Whether it's also necessary to be nice to each other's coins is maybe a matter we don't all agree on. I suspect the coins don't really mind getting the occasional low rating. Generally I find my coins to be well behaved and polite. They don't talk back even when they are within listening distance of comments about their imperfect surfaces, poor centering or wear. That's good, because the idea of 1000 coins all talking to me at once hardly bears thinking of. But it seems some people's coins do talk to their owners judging from interventions made on their behalf.

I agree , Andrew.  I think this is a case of a problem in translation.  Sam, for what it is worth, I see nothing intentionally offensive in anything Alex said.

Nick

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
I appreciate your light post Andrew.  Some of this is needed at times;)

....so if only a small percentage, say 1% of my coins get insulted when I state their imperfections, should they got straight to auction, or should I try to rehabilitate them in solitary confinement for a few months??

I'd hold off for a while.

I sold my genuine EID MAR because my first ever serious numismatic mentor told me I should never collect coins in such terrible condition no matter how rare. He smiled at me, but when he looked at the coin he was wearing his 'ugly face'. In retrospect, this was the only piece of bad advice I ever got from him, though I think its sale was motivated not so much by what he said to me, but how he looked at that coin. I still remember that One Star look...

Offline Norbert

• Praetorian

I sold my genuine EID MAR because my first ever serious numismatic mentor told me I should never collect coins in such terrible condition no matter how rare.

If that had happened to me I would still have mightmares about killing that guy.

Not that I will ever have a chance to own this coin..

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford

I sold my genuine EID MAR because my first ever serious numismatic mentor told me I should never collect coins in such terrible condition no matter how rare.

If that had happened to me I would still have mightmares about killing that guy.

Not that I will ever have a chance to own this coin..

It cost less than one fifth what I paid for my most best Republican prow bronze. It was a cheap coin. It was in remarkably terrible condition. Not sure I'd bid too strong on it if it came up again. But I should not have sold it. Thrown it into my penny jar maybe.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity