Antiquities Discussion Forums > Other Metal Antiquities

Roman Bronze Palm Thimble 100 - 300 A.D.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Virgil H:
Pekka,
A larger image would be more helpful, that one is hard to really see. But, some of the modern palm thimbles I saw when I looked it up are remarkably similar. I guess the point is that palm thimbles are a real thing and there are only so many ways to make them over the centuries. They basically help you apply pressure without having something impale your hand.

Virgil

Pekka K:

This sketch was copied many years ago, when I got my thimble and
found similar on sale.

Here is my thimble:

Joe Sermarini:
My doubt stems from this page: https://finds.org.uk/counties/findsrecordingguides/textile-equipment/#Palm_guards

The UK portable antiquities scheme find reporting guide lists many types of thimbles, including palm guards. None look like these types.

Mayadigger:
Ave!

Palm thimbles were most commonly used by sailmakers and leather workers. It was tied around the hand and tucked into the palm and used by setting the eye end of a needle against the recessed end and pushing the needle using the entire arm. This allowed the sewer to use a great amount of force without hurting the hand while pushing a thick needle through tough materials like leather, canvas or sail cloth.

I have had a few Roman needles, and all were ca. 17cm. Sadly, I cannot find any photos to share.  :'(

Joe Sermarini:

--- Quote from: Pekka K on October 02, 2022, 01:39:43 am ---Joe, did you see this sketch from ex VCoins dealer "Ancient Caesar Classical Numismatics"?

--- End quote ---

Yes. I generally do not accept sale listings as references. I want something from an archeological report, museum catalog or other more authoritative reference. There are many items described as Roman over and over and over, in multiple sales listings by multiple sellers, that are not Roman or ancient at all.

For example: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=121062.0

I have actually ordered a book on thimbles ancient to modern and they mention palm thimbles in the description.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version