Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hendin's New Guide to Biblical Coins (GBC6)  (Read 1501 times)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Hendin's New Guide to Biblical Coins (GBC6)
« on: January 23, 2022, 12:10:26 am »
Has anyone received their copy yet?  I ordered mine the day the notice regarding availability came out, but have not received it yet.

The problem is that a major auction company has a decent selection of Judaean coin coming up next week, but for some reason that defies logic, they attributed them by their new GBC6 numbers.

If anyone has a copy, is their a cross reference of the new GBC6 variety numbers to GBC5?

Craig

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: New "Guide to Biblical Coins" (GBC6)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 02:27:34 pm »
Are you talking about the new Hendin book? If so, I asked ANS about that and they said it was going out after he signs copies last Thursday, so may have gone out already. ANS has a Lyceum starting Feb 9 taught by him, having the book in hand I hoping very much to have before it starts.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 03:24:02 pm »
I received my Hendin 6th edition Guide to Biblical Coins yesterday.

Yes there is a concordance  for editions 2, 4, and 5 as well as TJC and AJC

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 04:27:46 pm »
I just got mine today. I ordered it from ANS as soon as it was announced a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised to see a personalized inscription from and signed by David Hendin. I got number 46 of the first 100 books. I had no idea. Very cool.

Virgil

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 11:38:07 pm »
Still waiting for mine.  I too ordered a signed copy the day the announcement came out, and I received an email from DH thanking me for my order.

Now I just need to receive the book !!

Craig

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 02:15:47 am »
Hopefully you will get it any day. I didn't realize I was ordering a book that was signed and don't recall a thank you email, but I ordered as soon as I opened the email with the announcement. Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised. What I do know is they were signed last Thursday and I got mine today, so yours shouldn't be far behind, depending where you live. It was sent media mail, and that can take a bit longer. I am in US in South Carolina, so not a long trip from NYC. It was probably the best packed book I have ever received. I was impressed all the way around and the book looks super good. I have not read previous editions, so this is a new adventure for me. Plus, the Lyceum coming up I will have the book for. I am a very satisfied customer.

Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 08:07:48 am »
If you have the 5th  edition you may be disappointed.  Most of the introductions and history sections are identical.  To be sure there are new paragraphs and of course coins, but so far the majority of the text is exactly the same.  If you're  a casual collector I see no reason to update to the 6th edition.  Still, I'm happy I got it and it is an exceptional resource.  Well written and excellent plates and line drawings.  Now I just have to update my coins to the new reference numbers!

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 09:57:52 am »
I don't collect Judean coins, but this trend of authors using new and different reference numbers between editions is vexing.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 03:42:08 pm »
I agree Ron.  Come up with a numbering scheme that allows for the addition of new types into the existing system.

Jay.....even if the book doesn't offer much in the way of new information (although I'm sure there is some) as I mentioned in my original post, some auction houses have already begun listing their coins by the GBC6 numbering system.  Again, why anyone would do this when the book wasn't even available to most collectors, I can not comprehend. 

And also, I have every edition from #1 through #5, so I must keep the set going with #6.

Craig

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2022, 09:13:20 pm »
Pre-ordered the new volume, but had it shipped to relatives in the USA to save on shipping costs---can't wait to take a look at it. This will actually be my first Hendin volume, I have been reading old library copies till now when I needed his work for reference. Otherwise I made do with TJC, which has stood the test of time pretty well. I think having an "updated TJC" could also be useful, and it is indeed a shame that Ya'akov Meshorer is not alive to do it.

I am most curious to know if this edition classifies the helmet-aphlaston coin of Antiochus IV as a coin of Hyrcanus I, following Ariel.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 10:09:19 pm »
Mine arrived today !!!

Signed copy #88 of 100.

Craig

Offline Marko D

• Legionary
Re: Hendin's New Guide to Biblical Coins (GBC6)
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 06:54:52 am »

I would be really grateful if someone can look up for me the new numbers of edition 5 prutot 1144 and 1145. Many thanks and sorry for bothering

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 10:32:35 am »
Should be 6180 and 6181, respectively.

Craig

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 09:38:54 am »
Hendin's 6th Edition is available in FORVM's shop.

As part of our clearance sale we also have in limited quantities at EXTREMELY LOW PRICES...

Hendin's 5th Edition $20 (our wholesale cost was $42.50).

SNG ANS SNG American Numismatic Society, Part 6, Palestine - South Arabia by Ya'Akov Meshorer $15 (priced at our cost which was way below original wholesale).

These are very high quality references that every collector with any interest in coins from the Holyland should own.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1209&pos=0&open=516#Books-&-Supplies
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Marko D

• Legionary
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2022, 12:06:53 pm »
Should be 6180 and 6181, respectively.

Craig

Thank you very very much!!!

Offline Marko D

• Legionary
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 12:10:16 pm »
Hendin's 6th Edition is available in FORVM's shop.

As part of our clearance sale we also have in limited quantities at EXTREMELY LOW PRICES...

Hendin's 5th Edition $20 (our wholesale cost was $42.50).

SNG ANS SNG American Numismatic Society, Part 6, Palestine - South Arabia by Ya'Akov Meshorer $15 (priced at our cost which was way below original wholesale).

These are very high quality references that every collector with any interest in coins from the Holyland should own.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1209&pos=0&open=516#Books-&-Supplies

Thanks, I'll have a look!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2022, 04:42:32 pm »
If you don't want to spend on an expensive book but want something on Judaean coins Hendin's 5th edition currently available for $20 at the forum shop is an absolute steal!! 

You will get 95%+ of the info in the 6th edition for a fraction of the price.

Even if you don't collect Judaean coins Hendin's work is always excellent, and it is a great resource for Biblical or Jewish history.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2022, 09:28:43 am »
I have sold about half of my 5th edition copies and I plan to raise the price a little soon. Order now if you want it for $20.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity