Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Visit to Rome and Naples concerns carrying a camera any suggestions  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
My wife and I in 10 days leave for the UK to visit family and take a side trip to Rome and Naples,looking forwards to seeing Pompeii etc and we have private tours scheduled.

My wife has been doing a lot of reading and research as she always does a lot on safety and not being a target for thieves,she is concerned that if I carry a large camera I have nice Nikon D3100 with a good sized zoom lens  that we are going to stand out like a sore thumb as tourists,we are taking the train from Naples to Pompeii and from what she reads you are more likely to be target for theft in Naples and Rome when you look like a tourist.

We have money belts,not carrying a back pack etc

Has anyone had issues taking large cameras etc or other concerns.

thanks Adrian
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
You're going to stand out with or without the camera, so I'd bring it.  I'd just make sure it and any personal belongings are secure.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
I would consider using a backpack.  Conceals what you are carrying.  Items can easily be stolen from a backpack by a skilled thief - not only in Naples but around any European train station.  But you can buy a small combo lock that holds the zippers together and keeps grabby hands out.  You can take the camera out when you need it like at Pompeii or to get marvelous photos of Vesuvius as you pass it by.  It is also useful for dragging around some bottled water - Pompeii can be dusty at the best of times.  And snacks.  The only danger then is not setting the backpack down in a busy place.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
My wife and I in 10 days leave for the UK to visit family and take a side trip to Rome and Naples,looking forwards to seeing Pompeii etc and we have private tours scheduled.

My wife has been doing a lot of reading and research as she always does a lot on safety and not being a target for thieves,she is concerned that if I carry a large camera I have nice Nikon D3100 with a good sized zoom lens  that we are going to stand out like a sore thumb as tourists,we are taking the train from Naples to Pompeii and from what she reads you are more likely to be target for theft in Naples and Rome when you look like a tourist.

We have money belts,not carrying a back pack etc

Has anyone had issues taking large cameras etc or other concerns.

thanks Adrian

as said above, you will look like tourists from 300 yards distance regardless how you dress or look like, or whether or not you have a huge camera. This isn't an Italian thing, I can spot the American or German or Dutch or South African tourists from a long way off when they are strolling around Dublin. Its a consequence of being any foreigner in any foreign country. One dresses different, one gestures differently, one stands at different distances, one's bags are different etc. So no point to think you can de-tourist yourselves anywhere. What you want to look like however is a savvy and street-aware tourist and that's why you should bring your camera in a small well secured backpack. Don't wear your backpack on your front as some tourists do - that makes you look even more frightened and vulnerable, which will attract different cons. Just try and be as normal as possible. Dress appropriately too - modestly, in long trousers which protects from sunburn and are invariably more secure for holding wallets. And, when n you've made all these efforts to look normal, reconsider whether you really will benefit in Pompeii's dusty environment from the better pics that a massive camera takes. Bear in mind the lighting will generally be excellent and the subject matter will generally be inanimate. So the advantages of a high quality camera diminish. I've taken countless splendid pics of both Vesuvian cities, many Vesuvian villas and museums, all out on the internet, and all with a high quality phone camera that is available in my pocket 24/7 when a shot arises. Finally, Naples is no scarier to me than Amsterdam or Edinburgh, the last two cities I was mugged in. So, relax. The biggest target for cons and muggers is those with frightened sparrow looks and the more easy and relaxed that you look and feel, the safer you will be.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
Thanks for the suggestions we have travelled extensively in the US,UK and the Caribbean,Canada and Mexico but not Europe other than as a teenager with parents.I agree you can spot a tourist a mile off as we can spot fellow Brit's who always wear the same uniform and the Germans as well.

Good idea on the back pack, I am up in the air on my camera as I do have a smaller pocket sized I can take.I might take both.

Should be a fun trip

Adrian

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
I've been to Rome and throughout Italy & Sicily with my family (preteens included) 3 times in the past 4 years and it is completely safe IMO.   There are tourists everywhere you will be so you are in good company.   Watch purses or backpacks in crowds.  Better yet, don't carry them period and relieve your mind of worrying about it.  Bring your camera without concern.

What I do when I travel is leave my wallet, passports, and other valuables in my hotel safe.  Bring cash and one credit card in your pocket (lays flat, unlike a wallet) when you venture out in the city.  Lots of places in Rome don't take credit cards, such as small restaurants.   I usually keep the bulk of my cash in one pocket with my card, smaller bills and change in the other so when I'm counting out cash to pay for something it's from my change pocket.  This way you will show a potential thief where you keep the smaller balance of your cash if he/she is casing you and were to pickpocket you.   If you do get pinched with your main stash, you only have one card to call in stolen and whatever cash they took.  Chalk it up to the cost of stuff happening and rest assured it probably won't happen twice to you.  

I've traveled all over the world and only had one incident which happened in London where someone stole my cell phone off of a table at a restaurant.  I stupidly laid it down while I was cutting my child's pancakes.   I think Rome is safer than London, fwiw.

Relax, have fun!  BTW, private tours are the only way to go if you can swing it.  See what you want, when you want for as long as you want.

Chris

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
I agree with Chris suggestion of private tours. I did Stabiae, Oplontis and Boscoreale in one day in a private tour, and the myriad wonders of Pozzuoli and Cumae on another. I also did some private tours in Sicily for similar reasons. I chose private to accommodate the pace of my 85 year old oldies, but in retrospect even if fit and alone I'd have struggled to visit these places by public transport, driving in Naples is hardly fun, and guided tour buses don't cover these more remote and diverse sites anyway.

Offline Joe S2

• Praetorian
I've been to Rome a few times and never had a problem there or any where in Europe for that matter.  The only advise I would give you is to get a combination ticket when you go to the forum.  The lines can be crazy and you don't want to stand in line at everything you want to see...   Other than that watch your change from street vendors.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
We have private tours already booked as we can get better access to certain areas,my wife is good at setting all of that up and we are going down into the bowels of the Colosseum and other areas and even the Vatican.Not cheap but sure its worth it.

I was going to take cash and one credit card as you said already as I have more than one card and if one gets stolen I still have the others,I am not too concerned about traveling as I enjoy it but my wife has been doing a lot of reading and people say Naples is the pick pocket capitol of the World.

I already exchanged for Euro's so all set.

Appreciate the advice.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
When I first dated my wife back in 1984 my family and friends where worried about me moving to the USA with all the Cagney and Lacey shows and Hawaii 5 o etc,funny thing  on my wifes last night to the UK before going home we stopped in a Tandoori restaurant for a farewell meal.

A fight broke out between the local skin heads and the owner and they started throwing chairs at each other,they called the local police and one turned up hitting the skin heads on the head with a truncheon.It was a sight to behold

We could not leave as they were between us and the door,nothing like that ever happened to my wife here in the USA or us ever since she could not believe it.

The owner apologized when it was all over but still charged us for the meal but did not charge for the side show of the evening.

It was a little scary but it was kind of funny.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Visit to Rome and Naples concerns carrying a camera any suggestions
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 03:59:18 pm »
I have a smallish bridge camera which goes under my coat. It's not quite as small as the little thing I used to have which went in my pocket, but if you're worried it's well worth looking for something which is less conspicuous, while still taking quality pics.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity