Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tiberius Denarius ......Tribute Penny  (Read 1501 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
Tiberius Denarius ......Tribute Penny
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:41:02 pm »

Looking around the differences in The Tribute Pennies is truly amazing and seems to be a study on its own. If anyone has any examples could you please post them here or if you know of  any studies that will be amazing. Some writing on the history..... Tiberius Tribute penny, Livia seated

Tiberius denarius, Lugdunum (Lyon) mint AD 16-37:
 Jesus, referring to a "penny" asked, "Whose is this image and superscription?" When told it was Caesar, He said, ''Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22:20-21). Since Tiberius was Caesar at the time, this denarius type is attributed by scholars as the "penny" referred to in the Bible.
 Obv: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVSTVS, laureate head right.
 Rev: PONTIF MAXIM, Livia seated right holding scepter and branch, legs on chair ornamented, feet on footstool. This may be a true description but there seems to be variations .

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Tiberius Penny
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 04:34:38 pm »
Looking around the differences in The Tribute Pennies is truly amazing and seems to be a study on its own.

Well done Helen. One can learn a great deal by looking at large numbers of genuine examples of a single coin type. You get to see the characteristics of that coin, and to understand it better, all the variations in style and strike. I suggested this a few days ago, and you followed up on it. You can never look at too many genuine coins!

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 04:44:37 pm »

It is very eye opening and amazing to see the variations especially in the chair legs and the positioning of the hair ribbons. Also the way the body of Livia has been depicted going from elaborate to almost skeletal in style. I have a feeling this may be the start of a section of biblical coins in my collection as the history is just so exciting. Thank you Andrew for the idea.   

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:42:32 pm »
Helen, start by clicking Tribute Pennies and it will take you to the numiswiki article! :)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 05:56:03 pm »
Helen, start by clicking Tribute Pennies and it will take you to the numiswiki article! :)

OOOOOH Jay thank you for that it will make an amazing bedtime read that is so much information and exactly what I was looking for WONDERFUL BRAVO thanks it will give me a great start. This work is perfect even descriptions of the ribbons which I have seen vary so much may I thank you again for bringing it to my attention I don't think I will get much sleep.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
Re: Tiberius Denarius ......Tribute Penny
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:31:10 pm »
Click on the icon at the top of the page that reads gallery.

When the gallery page comes up, click on the icon that reads search.

When the search page comes up, type tribute penny in the box and click on search.

You should then be able to look through at all the "tribute pennies" in members' galleries.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 01:17:25 am »
Actually, Helen might find more Tribute Pennies in member galleries by searching "Tiberius denarius." Not everyone catalogs these as "Tribute Penny" and Tiberius only issued two basic types of denarii, the second of which (the slow quadriga reverse type) is scarce and much less likely to come up in the search.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 04:08:55 am »

Thank you Callimachus and Carausius for your posts I will check the members gallery that will provide me with some more photos. I started this post and called it Tiberius penny not too far in I changed it to Tiberius denarius which it is in its own right and then put .... Tribute penny because in my mind there are going to be two different paths to this study. One will be the study of the different styles which I have already discovered are age related as I had thought and the second part the debate on whether this is the Tribute penny or not. This seems to have arguments for and against and of course may never be solved but it would be great to discover an answer which seems the most believable. So for this I will look at some of the studies that have been done and listen to their fors and against. So yes two separate issues here. One thing that has surprised me is the amount of work that has already been done and actually how many varieties have been discovered.   

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity