Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: whatever became of Chrysogonus?  (Read 1450 times)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
whatever became of Chrysogonus?
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:21:40 pm »
I recently re-read Saylor's "Roman Blood" and was left wondering whatever became of Chrysogonus - Sulla's toadie?  I always slightly preferred the Saylor line of Roman detective novels over Davis', although Falco is delightful also (I'm currently reading 'Body in the Bath House').  Saylor mentions that Chrysogonus largely disappears from history after the Roscius case. 

It's strange that not many of Sulla's busts have surfaced, nor have his memoirs.

I still wish I could rediscover another Roman mystery novel - I forget the protagonist, but it's set later in the empire; circa 3rd century?  The detective goes to a party thrown by Claudius Maximus and a murder ensues.  It's been since c. 1990-2 that I read the book, so many details are murky.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: whatever became of Chrysogonus?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 02:25:31 pm »

I have no idea what happened to the " Golden One"  and the lack of Sullan busts, but I can guess.

However my detective skills lead my to suspect that you are talking about Libertus the pavement maker in " The ghosts of Glevum" by Rosemary Rowe.

She is excellent.

Cicerokid
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

All coins are guaranteed for eternity