Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Other Types of Ancient Coins Discussion Forum

Is this a Vandalic coin?

(1/2) > >>

Gert:
Hello,

This coin came in a lot of late Roman bronze and I've been wondering what it was. I just encountered a similar coin on the net that attributed the monogram to Vanalic king Hilderic. So my question is: are there Vandals-experts on the boards that tell me a little bit more about my coin? For example, is this really a Vandalic coin and where does the monogram stand for?

Best regards,
Gert

Gert:
This is the coin I found:

ID:
Vandals, Hilderic, early 6th century AD, AE Nummus. Bust rt., no inscriptions/ Monogram in wreath, La Monete Della Sardegna Vandalica 93-95. aVF, clear monogram, rare

Seems to be it!

Best regards,
Gert

a:
Hi,

This is Justinianus I (527-565), nummus, Carthago mint

OBV: Bust right. REV:Large A. SB 281
 8)
Explorer

Gert:
If this is Byzantine, why does the seller attribute the second coin to the Vandals? It's true they were in Carthage at the beginning of Justinian's reign, but he kicked them out of Africa. I wonder if there's any basis for this attribution.

Best regards,
Gert

a:
Hi Gert,

I don't know the reason for this attribution, but the symbol appears on both coins is "A" (greek denomination of one nummus) and not monogramm. Both Sear and Berk recognized this coin as Byzantine nummus of Justinianus from Carthage.

Explorer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version