Antiquities Discussion Forums > Seals and Tesserae

Seal with Chi-Rho shield

(1/2) > >>

Orpio:
Hi,
could you help me find any references to below seal?
We have head with helmet (on the right  :star:)above rectangular shield and on area of shield is  :Chi-Rho:. On the left ligature of dobule K and I, on  right P and K, on the bottom letters E O(probably) P). For me this attribution associated with Constantine times and battle of the Milvian Bridge.
But on the bid  was mentioned that seal is older: from 3rd to 1st century before Chr.  (I know that this sign is before Christianity but written on the shield?).

best regards,
Piotr

djmacdo:
I am afraid this very much resembles a grow of sealings on sale about eighteen months ago that were show to be false when two different seals exhibited the same impression of papyrus on the reverse.  I cannot say for certain this is a modern fake, but I am very suspicious of it.

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Orpio on September 20, 2022, 06:54:57 am ---On the left ligature of dobule K and I, on  right P and K

--- End quote ---

I see two additional smaller Chi-Rho there, partially obliterated.

And of course, Chi-Rho is one of the most commonly used symbols to sell something as Christian antiquity. Counterfeiters are well aware of this.

Orpio:
Dzień dobry Panie Lechu - dawno nie mieliśmy okazji wymieniać myśli.  :)
Pozdrawiam serdecznie Piotrek.

In reference to replies. According to Seller notes it is ex-collection of Victor Hruby - if it is not surname coincidence (or Seller is not make it up) this man died in late of 70th.
I don't know that it is copy of ancient seal or it is fantastic design. Strange it is that is not sell as christian item but seal from Zeugma dated 3rd to 1st BC.

Lech Stępniewski:

--- Quote from: Orpio on September 21, 2022, 08:29:00 am ---Dzień dobry Panie Lechu - dawno nie mieliśmy okazji wymieniać myśli.  :)
Pozdrawiam serdecznie Piotrek.

--- End quote ---

Dzień dobry Panie Piotrze. Tak, kiedyś miło nam się rozmawiało na tematy rozmaite. Również serdecznie Pana pozdrawiam.

--- Quote from: Orpio on September 21, 2022, 08:29:00 am ---According to Seller notes

--- End quote ---

I think it would not be improper if you copy his whole note (of course without link).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version