Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How many Indo-Scythian kings by the name of Azes ?  (Read 563 times)

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
How many Indo-Scythian kings by the name of Azes ?
« on: April 19, 2021, 12:00:21 pm »
In his standard reference for the Indo-Scythian coins, R.C. Senior makes a good case for there having been one King Azes, rather than two.

I am wondering what the current up-to-date scholarship is on this subject.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: How many Indo-Scythian kings by the name of Azes ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 01:19:10 pm »
In 2008 Senior published his article "The Final Nail in the Coffin of Azes II", Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society 197, 2008, pp. 25–27, where he presents an overstrike of Azes I on Azes II thus showing that these Azes coins have to be contemporary and there has been only one Azes.

I don't know of any scholarly reaction, but many dealers are selling these coins nowadays as "Azes", without any number:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=azes&images=1&order=1
so it seems to be accepted  :).

Regards

Altamura

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Re: How many Indo-Scythian kings by the name of Azes ?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 05:19:22 pm »
Thanks Altamura.

I will read this article as soon as I am able.

I have been attributing these coins per Senior's 2001 work as Azes. With the addition of the overstrike published in 2008, it sure looks like only one ruler by that name.

Thanks again.

KD

All coins are guaranteed for eternity