Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New gallery, Parthian focus  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
New gallery, Parthian focus
« on: July 12, 2011, 05:11:21 pm »
 :Chi-Rho_noPinOval:Just uploaded a gallery of my Parthian coins: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16274

Please stop by to poke around.  FYI, I opted to follow Dave Welsh's convention (from the Classical Coins website) of dividing the history of Parthia into three parts (early, middle, late)...thus three folders of coins.  Enjoy.

- Bob

Offline Dk0311USMC

• Conservator
  • Consul
    • My gallery
Re: New gallery, Parthian focus
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:57:17 pm »
Very nice collection Bob!  I still have a whole lot of catching up to do on my own gallery....   Hopefully ill see you at the ACSG later this month. I'm working on freeing up that evening on my calendar.

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 04:24:03 pm »
A very nice Parthian collection indeed! Looks like you have been collecting them for a long time!

I have long admired these, but have yet to obtain any. Some in your collection look familiar, like I may have bid on them too. If so I'm glad they found a really nice home!

What is the significance of the figure on the rev. on the early coins? Looks like he is handing off his bow, like he is done fighting, or offering peace.

I really need to study these more! The artistry in the first two eras in particular is first rate!!!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful coins!

~Steve

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:31:57 pm »
Thanks for the nice comments, gents.

Steve, the archer that is depicted on the reverse of many coins in the series is believed to represent Arsakes I, the founder of the dynasty.  As Fred Shore states in his important book Parthian Coins and History: Ten Dragons Against Rome, "Ancestor worship was practiced among the Parthians, and was extended to their coinage." 

I'm not sure that anyone has ever definitively determined what the gesture of holding the bow in that manner means.

Bob

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 05:44:09 pm »
"Very nice collection Bob!  I still have a whole lot of catching up to do on my own gallery....   Hopefully ill see you at the ACSG later this month. I'm working on freeing up that evening on my calendar."

Thanks, Danny.  I really hope you can make it for my presentation.  I'll post a note in the "Ancient Coins Clubs and Shows" thread a few days prior to the Ancient Coin Study Group meeting, though I doubt there are too many St. Louis members of this board who might read it and attend...but we'll see.  See you soon!

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 05:48:54 pm »
Wonderful collection!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:21:56 pm »
And you said Parthians weren't your specialty!  Very nice collection, and since I got my mis-attributed Parthian, which you helped me with I'm taking a real interest in them.

Offline Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 06:11:48 pm »
Just added two nice new acquisitions.

1. An Elymaian tetradrachm from the period of the "Uncertain Early Arsacid Kings," late 1st century BC to early 2nd century AD: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-73884

2. A rare Parthian tetradrachm (one of my most satisfying auction victories thus far): Phraates II, 138-127 BC: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-73885

Enjoy.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity