Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 2013 Forvm Website Award for Numismatic Excellence!  (Read 17631 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
2013 Forvm Website Award for Numismatic Excellence!
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:06:53 am »
Thank you for participating in this year's contest and congratulations to all the nominees.

Please consider serving on the 2014 committee!

Nick

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: 2013 Forvm Website Award for Numismatic Excellence!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:10:21 am »
Thank you for participating in this year's contest and congratulations to all the nominees.

Please consider serving on the 2014 committee!

Nick

In prior years we had 3 votes each. But if that's not immediately obvious how to do, 1 will do (3 votes each minimises the chances of a site having a record like Norway in the Eurovision where they scored nul points quite often)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Poll Reset: 2013 Forvm Website Award for Numismatic Excellence!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:37:41 am »
Done, but I had to reset the poll so everyone vote again please!

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:00:52 am »
I have been allowed to vote 2 times.
Good luck to all.

Sam M.
Sam Mansourati

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:09:09 am »
It's set to 3, so each person should be able to select three of the sites.  It worked for me.

Offline Nikko

• Caesar
  • He was simply Great!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:53 am »
Thank you Nick.

Congratulations to all the nominees.

Regards,
N.
Scribendi recte sapere est principium et fons

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:48:04 pm »
Hi all thanks your acceptance to my cooperation   +++

Best regards

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:07:44 am »
In prior years we had 3 votes each. But if that's not immediately obvious how to do, 1 will do (3 votes each minimises the chances of a site having a record like Norway in the Eurovision where they scored nul points quite often)

But doesn't that increase the likelihood that a ho hum site of relatively modest first choice popularity wins the contest?

The most common first preference, is likely to get less votes than the mediocre third preference which is likely to share a greater constituency as a third choice of voters. My third choice seemed to reflect this outcome when I cast my three votes and the results to date popped up with my begrudging (from my perspective) third choice near the front of the pack. Don't know much about the Eurovision contest, but suffice to say I could imagine iNorway winning under this three votes regime by virtue of everyone seeing it as an innocuous third choice, having cast a vote for their by far an away higher preference.  

I know my first preference very well. By the time I have to cast the third vote its all a bit ho hum! I suspect the same applies to others and as a result the ho hum ends up with the most third votes cast and thus wins the game.

A far more honest outcome results from first past the post single voting, even if a few egos get bruised in the process - aka Norway!
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 09:32:15 am »

But doesn't that increase the likelihood that a ho hum site of relatively modest first choice popularity wins the contest?

The most common first preference, is likely to get less votes than the mediocre third preference which is likely to share a greater constituency as a third choice of voters. My third choice seemed to reflect this outcome when I cast my three votes and the results to date popped up with my begrudging (from my perspective) third choice near the front of the pack. Don't know much about the Eurovision contest, but suffice to say I could imagine iNorway winning under this three votes regime by virtue of everyone seeing it as an innocuous third choice, having cast a vote for their by far an away higher preference.  

I know my first preference very well. By the time I have to cast the third vote its all a bit ho hum! I suspect the same applies to others and as a result the ho hum ends up with the most third votes cast and thus wins the game.

A far more honest outcome results from first past the post single voting, even if a few egos get bruised in the process - aka Norway!

You sound like the perfect person to serve on next year's committee!

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 05:22:54 pm »
....You sound like the perfect person to serve on next year's committee!

Thank you but this sounds like an invitation to sip from the poison chalice! From this I gather that the three versus one vote per member is a point of contention. I dislike head-butting debates amongst alpha males. It gives me nothing but a headache. Therefore, I must respectfully decline the invitation.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 05:54:17 pm »
It isn't a point if contention at all.  I couldn't even remember how we did it until Andrew reminded me!  All members are welcome to join, and there isn't really any debate involved, just hunting down and evaluating good numismatic websites.  Your comment made sense, which is why I think you'd be a great addition.  However, it is too late now for me to switch to one vote per person for the 2013 awards.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 06:26:33 pm »
My apologies. I read more into your comment than was intended. It just seems to me that by the third vote people will be down to their afterthought site as a preference and in these circumstances the lowest common denominator preference of members stands a chance of securing the most votes.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:56 pm »
I checked all the websites and then voted for the site that I thought was the best (NB not my own!), and I rewarded two less-well-known but excellent sites with a vote each for encouragement. I don't think that's such a bad thing. This isn't about winning but about promoting nice amateur web-sites, and if a few 2nd and 3rd votes encourage some excellent but perhaps clunky sites to become first class sites by next year, and also flag to Forum voters that the site is worth visiting, then that's wonderful. I don't collect Chinese coins but I admired the passion behind a related website that got one of my votes. Had I only 1 vote, the site-owner wouldn't get the chance to feel that I cared. If it turns out to be one of the most popular sites of the year, that's also great. My second spare vote went to a non-English-language site, also worthy of encouragement and visitors. So I hope we keep 3 votes.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 07:22:31 pm »
That's a good point too.  You should both be on the committee :)

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 10:55:40 pm »
That's a good point too.  You should both be on the committee :)

My invisibility would only increase in the reflected glow of such illustrious company!  :)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 11:51:39 pm »
I made a mistake and only submitted 2 votes.  Can I add my missing vote or is it too late?

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 07:01:04 am »
If it isn't immediately letting you, then you can't, unfortunately.  Otherwise I would have to restart the entire poll.  Another option would be to submit the vote to me via PM, but then I have no way of verifying that you actually did submit only two votes.  I'm sure you did, of course, but the next five people might not have!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 09:18:12 am »
I've received a few questions about this year's poll in its relation to the current by-laws.

I'd like to note that some of the rules have been suspended or amended because of the last minute nature of this poll, including: (1) that sites already get a regular award, and must display the logo for the regular award, (2) the intended rule that legionaries+ be allowed to vote and not new members joining just to vote and, (3) that all sites must go through a formal review process and be approved by the committee before entering the end-of-the-year poll.

I hope you all will excuse my "executive" decision to suspend these rules in order for the award poll to take place before the year's end.

Nick

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 08:06:12 pm »
I'd like to note that some of the rules have been suspended or amended because of the last minute nature of this poll, including: (1) that sites already get a regular award, and must display the logo for the regular award, (2) the intended rule that legionaries+ be allowed to vote and not new members joining just to vote and, (3) that all sites must go through a formal review process and be approved by the committee before entering the end-of-the-year poll.

I hope you all will excuse my "executive" decision to suspend these rules in order for the award poll to take place before the year's end.

I can imagine the bureaucrats and anal-retentive types amongst the 15,181 membership experiencing apoplexy with these rule changes.  ;D But seriously, with only 62 voters to date from 15,181 members, apathy is the biggest risk to the credibility of any award.  How many voters do these polls usually attract?  So far the abysmal turnout makes the 55% average for a US election look absolutely bountiful, and yet the US political pundits complain of the lack of engagement of registered voters indicated by such a "poor" turnout!

I am amazed with such a large membership that its the same old dozen names that crop up everywhere. Another fifty or so chirp into the discussions periodically. What do the other 15,000 zombie like members do, apparently insufficiently stimulated, or brain dead to move beyond silence?

The call should go out to zombie members to get up off the lounge and vote - get engaged in the dialogue, otherwise lose some of the dozen members and dialogue almost dies. But would 15,000 even notice?

Offline crispina

• Praetorian
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 08:56:56 pm »
Dear Nick,

When does voting end?  I definitely know where I want to place 2 of my votes, but I wouldn't mind exploring some of the sites that are not as familiar to me for my 3rd.  But I don't want to take too long and miss the chance to vote at all.

Thanks!

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 04:16:22 am »
Rule 2 is certainly a useful one, depending on how you look at it. With so few voters any site with a dedicated following can easily win. Basically, if another forum type site goes up against a site that doesn't have actual members, the former is sure to win. Not that I think it is the end of the world or blame these people for registering just to vote. I think this is actually a good thing, if even a few of these new members eventually contribute to the forum.

n.igma

Most of these forum members are people who registered to buy from the store, not to post on the forum. Many others have posted one coin once, been disappointed that it was a cheap fake and never come back. Many just read the forum. While this is most likely the largest English-speaking forum on ancient coins, the number of active members is more likely just a few hundred.
Andreas Reich

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 05:51:07 am »
Thanks for the explanation.  A couple of hundred, perhaps three hundred active members seems more in line with the discussion posts. But even then 62 (now 65) voters is a bit of a miserable turn-out. Now imagine if Leonidas was faced with such apathy when he called for three hundered to turn-up at Thermopylae! And this is only for a vote, not to stand in the shade of of a sky full of Persian arrows!  ???

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 09:39:38 am »
Quote from: crispina on December 11, 2013, 08:56:56 pm
Dear Nick,

When does voting end?  I definitely know where I want to place 2 of my votes, but I wouldn't mind exploring some of the sites that are not as familiar to me for my 3rd.  But I don't want to take too long and miss the chance to vote at all.

Thanks!

Hi Shannon!

Voting ends in 5 days, on Monday, December 16th at 08:37 Forvm time, exactly 7 days from when the poll opened,  so you still have time to explore a bit.

Nick

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 09:51:21 am »
Rule 2 is certainly a useful one, depending on how you look at it. With so few voters any site with a dedicated following can easily win. Basically, if another forum type site goes up against a site that doesn't have actual members, the former is sure to win. Not that I think it is the end of the world or blame these people for registering just to vote. I think this is actually a good thing, if even a few of these new members eventually contribute to the forum.

The chair was supposed to take up this issue with the committee this year, but it never happened.  I will probably run for chair next year and we will reach a resolution on the issue.  It'd be great if you were on the committee, Andreas!

I certainly don't want to discourage new members from joining, but at the same time the advantage membership sites have is tremendous, so something has to change, I think.

Nick

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 09:21:17 pm »
While this is most likely the largest English-speaking forum on ancient coins, the number of active members is more likely just a few hundred.

Depends what you call active.  If you mean people that log in every day or two, it is a few hundred. About 1000 members log in only once a week to once a month, another 1000 log in every couple months, and another thousand log in only a few times a year.  Some people visit regularly but don't log in. It takes more than a few hundred people to generate over 1,000,000 page views a month.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity