Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual AE40mm medallion - Commodus  (Read 1960 times)

William J Bligh

Unusual AE40mm medallion - Commodus
« on: February 22, 2005, 07:06:35 am »
Hey gang! Does anyone have any info on this unusual piece? it weighs 31g, and measures 40mm. It appears to be Commodus

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Unusual AE40mm medallion - Caracalla?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 07:09:19 pm »
        Sear Gk. Imp. 1978 prices it 65 pounds in Fine, which was too low even in 1982 when the book was published.
        Fair retail for yours today might be $150-200 in my opinion; more if it could be improved by cleaning.
        If you see a reference to BMC Greek in the form "BMC 14.233, 143" as cited by Luigi, you can bet that coin is included in Sear's Greek or Greek Imperial books.  Only Sear assigns volume numbers to the BMC Greek series, and cites the page in this fashion; most other people would cite the same coin as BMC Ionia 143.
Curtis Clay

William J Bligh

Re: Unusual AE40mm medallion - Commodus
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 11:50:36 pm »
Well, I think I did this fellow justice as far as the cleaning is concerned. Of course, it looks nicer in hand..

Thoughts??

William J Bligh

Re: Unusual AE40mm medallion - Commodus
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 12:08:26 am »
The coin is the same one pictured at the top in the initial thread - The first shot before I got my hands on it, and the latest picture, after. Tacrolimus posted a picture in the middle for reference, which is a different specimen entirely.

I was very pleased that the black/brown crud came off leaving it none the worse for wear. 

As for the dimensions, 40mm, and 31.5g.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity