Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Check Out a Rare Tribute Penny (Group 3)--I Found One!  (Read 1637 times)

Offline spqrclaudius

• Consul
Check Out a Rare Tribute Penny (Group 3)--I Found One!
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:36:40 am »
I'm one step closer to completing a collection of all six types of Tribute Pennies. This one is an example of Group 3, characterized by the late style chair legs, a platform under the throne, and an overturned spear instead of a scepter. I was interested in just how rare this type of coin really was, so I sampled over 200 auctions. I found that only approximately 2% of all tribute pennies that have been auctioned online are of Group 3; Group 2 is the next rarest type, amounting to some 10%. The most common type by far is Group 4.

The coin is very handsome in hand--I'm glad to have found one is such good condition; the die break is almost invisible unless under strong light. I think that my Group 5 example is probably still my best, but this is a close second. The one that used to be my favorite (Group 6) has fallen from the top of my list.

Offline spqrclaudius

• Consul
Re: Check Out a Rare Tribute Penny (Group 3)--I Found One!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:45:28 am »
Here are the other tribute pennies in my collection for comparison.

Offline spqrclaudius

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 12:46:33 am »
Here is the reverse of that last coin, which was once my favorite.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:08:27 am »

Would  people that don't collect coins ever realise the time and effort that goes in to sourcing examples of a chosen theme. You have done extremely well and I congratulate you in your beautiful collection and indeed the knowledge you have gathered whilst doing so . Thank you for posting it is wonderful to see them

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:21:39 am »
Please share any other statistics or interesting results of your auction sampling.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline spqrclaudius

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 02:33:12 pm »
One thing that was very interesting is my discovery that there was early experimentation with reducing the base under the throne during the transition from Group 2 to Group 3; Group 4 eliminated the base completely, but in Group 2, there seems to be two types of coins. One type has a raised base under the throne and elaborate chair legs with two concave half-circles facing each other on each leg--this is the canonical Group 2 (see my first example, below.) Other Group 2 coins, though, experiment with elaborate chair legs with two convex half-circles facing each other on each leg. Coins of this later type experiment with reduced bases under the throne sometimes. Group 3 experimented with a restored high base.

Why do I associate the examples of what I call "2.5" below with the period between 2 and 3? Because the legs of Group 2.5, while different from most of Group 2, are still elaborate. Group 3's legs are the late style, which remained invariable until the end once it appeared. Then again, the discovery of this transitional group is a bit problematic, because it complicates the clean narrative of "New legs introduced in Group 3, Base Eliminated in Group 4" by showing that the base under the chair was in fact something variable much earlier on, though it was never completely dismissed until Group 4, sometimes manifesting itself in earlier cases as a thick line over the exergue

Offline spqrclaudius

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:35:45 pm »
(Group 2.5 is only slightly less rare than Group 3. For the record, Groups 1 and 5 seem about equal to each other in number, with Group 4 amounting to about 1/2 of all Tribute Pennies auctioned.)

Offline spqrclaudius

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 03:39:24 pm »

Would  people that don't collect coins ever realise the time and effort that goes in to sourcing examples of a chosen theme. You have done extremely well and I congratulate you in your beautiful collection and indeed the knowledge you have gathered whilst doing so . Thank you for posting it is wonderful to see them

Thanks for the nice comments!

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 05:21:27 pm »
What were the % of total for each group?  Based on the discussion above, I get...
1. =5
2. 10% (2.5 3%?)
3. 2%
4. 50%
5. =1
6. ?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline spqrclaudius

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 05:36:21 pm »
I only kept strict track of Group 3 and Group 2.5--the other percentages were estimates. However, now that you mention it, I think I will go back through my history and see if I can be more precise about all six (really seven!) types of coins. This should be very interesting.

Offline Marcelo Leal

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 05:45:28 pm »
Very nice Tribute Pennys and very nice discussion!! It increased my poor knowledge on these coins!!

We are waiting for the statistics!!

Best regards,
Marcelo Leal.
Augustus1975
Non omne quod fulget aurum est

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 10:48:29 pm »
Where do we find definitions of the various other types?  I don't know what the plain leg one is called.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:57:01 pm »
Where do we find definitions of the various other types?  I don't know what the plain leg one is called.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=tribute%20penny

Group 1, c. 15 - 18 A.D.
Obverse: Tiberius' is depicted as a young man. One of the ribbons of Tiberius' laurel wreath falls over his neck.
Reverse: Legs of the throne are plain, the throne is on a raised base represented by a second line above the exergual line, no footstool.

Nemo

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 12:47:06 am »

Click on Tribute Pennies to see the NumisWiki page.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity