Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Benito" Tribute  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
"Benito" Tribute
« on: May 07, 2020, 08:45:18 am »
Apologies I am sure this must have already been posted but I can't find it. CNG have a nice tribute to "Benito" in their latest catalogue, a gentleman and Forvm member with a true love for coins and whose collection was a real marvel. Here for those who have not seen it.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: "Benito" Tribute
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 08:54:51 am »
I had no idea "Benito" passed away.  RIP Ramon!

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 09:01:50 am »

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 11:05:58 am »
Very sad news... :-[

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 01:37:21 pm »
I really enjoyed speaking with him and was even privileged to touch up a few of his photos.  Sad to hear of his passing, I had no idea.  I often wondered what happened.  

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 03:55:36 pm »
Was looking through the CNG auctions today and noticed the Benito collection; it’s very sad to read it was Benito off Forum and my thoughts are with his family and the tribute above is a very nice touch.

Just had a look through Benito’s gallery and what a collection.

Steve

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 07:27:01 am »
The Sadigh gallery have lost a life-long friend. That is how I first remember his posts and his motto.
RIP Benito
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:20:11 am »
I tried adding a Benito coin to my collection but was outbid quite soundly on the lots I was after.  I think many experienced the same fate.

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 10:11:59 am »
I tried adding a Benito coin to my collection but was outbid quite soundly on the lots I was after.  I think many experienced the same fate.

I certainly tried for a couple but wasn’t even close but to be fair it wasn’t a surprise as his coins are just perfect in most cases

Thanks
Steve

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 12:56:59 pm »
I managed to land a nice rare Domitian from his collection. I will post it to my gallery within a few days.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 10:26:16 pm »
Benito was certainly an enigmatic personality exemplified by cryptic, funny and sometimes outright bewildering Forum posts.

Even in his passing this continues.

Refer to the dates in his CNG obituary, and the date of his last activity on the board detailed in his member profile... still active three years later!

"quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra"  - quixotic to the end!

Vale Benito. You continue to bring a smile to my face!
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 01:07:41 pm »
I'm a bit late here, but having been away from Forvm for a while, I just happen to discover this

RIP Benito, your collection was a model to many people. I think we've had some Head to Head contests in the BOT galery, not sure I could win any

JC

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 01:09:47 pm »
I'm a bit late here, but having been away from Forvm for a while, I just happen to discover this

RIP Benito, your collection was a model to many people. I think we've had some Head to Head contests in the BOT galery, not sure I could win any

JC

Same here, I've been away awhile myself, but still sporadically buying. I was lucky enough to land a nice dupondius from his collection in that most recent CNG sale. It will be posted at some point soon, as I work through my backlog. RIP Benito, you had fine taste in coins and a lot of personal flair. It is an honor to have piece of you in my own collection!

Dave

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 07:38:05 am »
Pharsalos was kind enough to share the sad news, mentioning also the Benito gallery here and this thread.

I picked up a Marcus Aurelius-Lucius Very restoration of a Marc Antony galley issue in the CNG 114 auction. Sorry Jay GT4.

My gallery coin here.  The Benito gallery coin there.

I also picked up a Benito collection coin of Septimius Severus. I'll be uploading that to my gallery soon. The Benito gallery coin is over there.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 09:12:20 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity