Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Libral Republican Uncia for ID  (Read 263 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Libral Republican Uncia for ID
« on: November 11, 2013, 10:00:58 am »
I bought this nice cast  uniface uncia with a single dot (1 uncia) two good spruces on either side and a lovely weight of 29.6 grams. It should be one of the earliest coins, but I do not directly find it in the literature. All help needed!

Frans

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Libral Republican Uncia for ID
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:52:11 am »
Got the coin in hand today and there is something I have to rectify: the weight is not as the dealer told me. It is 26.35 grams, which is only one gram light for an exact uncia of 27.4 grams.
No-one any idea? including Andrew?

Frans

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 10:01:46 am »
Got the coin in hand today and there is something I have to rectify: the weight is not as the dealer told me. It is 26.35 grams, which is only one gram light for an exact uncia of 27.4 grams.
No-one any idea? including Andrew?
Frans

I suspect it is a weight for one ounce and not a coin. It doesn't look like an aes grave, too flat, odd patina.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »
I suppose it does not help to tell this item too has a Spanish provenance. Whatever it is, it is an ancient 'thingey'  weighing an ounce.
Thanks, Andrew!

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity