Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wildwinds: News etc.  (Read 84379 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Wildwinds: News etc.
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2016, 08:41:30 pm »
I will add this coin, Aleksandar but in future could you look at my profile, take my email address
and send your coin images to that address instead of here ?
Thankyou !

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2016, 06:32:09 pm »
Two things, friends.
I did an incredibly silly thing a week ago - instead of saving the updated Probus file to the
Probus folder on the server, I uploaded it to the \ric\ folder by mistake, so some people
were seeing the Probus page when they went to the wildwinds RIC list startpage (the one
with the dropdown lists of emperors). I noticed it the next day and corrected it but if you
were a victim of my foolishness and you are still seeing the Probus page, it is because
your browser is still fetching the page from your browser's cache. So you need to
either manually delete the www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/i.html (it did not affect ...index.html)
from your cache or try the F5 key a couple of times, or CTRL F5 or Shift F5, depending on
your browser. (It used to be possible to set browsers to "always fetch the newest
version of websites" but it looks as though Firefox, Chrome and IE have removed that
option which is pretty damn stupid in my opinion).

Secondly, I am in the midst of modifying hundreds of thousands of html files for use with
the new version of the DVD and because some parts of the html coding - which may look
identical when viewed as text - actually have small differences (e.g. an extra space, <td>
instead of <th> etc) my search and replace programs had a hard time of it. So I decided to
separate the 170 lines of the top part of the pages (the part with the wildwinds logo, banner
ads and the dropdown menus beneath them) into a file of its own and then use a call-up line
to add it to the pages.
Now, because those 170 lines are a mixture of plain html and scripts, it is difficult to get the
size exactly right. On my PCs screen (my display settings are set at a slightly lower resolution
than most people have) the top part is a little bit narrower than the coin lists. It should be fine
for most people, but if you, for example, see only a small part of that top part, could you let
me know ? At the moment ONLY the Byzantine emperor lists have the "call-up line" system
because it needs a lot of work to do all the tens of thousands of html pages of all the sections,
and I really need to get the new DVD done.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2016, 05:22:50 pm »
Blessing upon you for all that work on our behalf.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2016, 07:40:31 pm »
Thankyou - sometimes I feel I need all the blessings I can get  ;D

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2016, 08:51:10 pm »
Trust me, you give 'amateur' collectors such as me a reason to live when we get a batch of unidentified coins in (now if AE4's could magically get larger for my old eyes...).
Best,
Larry

Offline Fatih K

• Praetorian
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2017, 07:41:56 pm »
Excellent , I is indeed very useful thanks alot, +++

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2021, 12:43:44 pm »
Just a quick bit of information about collectors of English coins.
I got fed up of wildwinds jumping to and fro between an entry on e.g. the Henry VIII page and the appropriate entry in the /SE directory that I spent long hours during the past week moving all the /SE entries to the appropriate kings pages and adding quite a lot of full legends to many pages. So the old /SE directory (folder) is now empty, all the blue (links to /SE..) lines on the kings' pages are gone, you click on a coin and it's there instead of jumping over to another folder.
It'll probably take a while for Google's spiders to catch up and realise that their links are out of date, and they'll send me emails complaining about 1,000 dead links...  ::)

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2021, 01:24:34 pm »
UPDATE: I spent Monday, Tuesday and today Wednesday modifying copies (i.e. modifying all the links etc) of all the wildwinds files, and running my trusty Search Engine Composer to make the new wildwinds USB Stick version.
I am not making DVDs any more. Because of all the additions over the past few years, the capacity of the wildwinds files have now exceeded the max. capacity of a DVD, so I am putting them on 16 Gb USB sticks instead, and can also add more useful pdfs.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2021, 07:40:40 pm »
Wildwinds is possibly the most useful site on the Internet for ancient coin identification and I thank you so much. I use it a lot. What do you do with the USB's of the site? Is this for offline viewing or is there more to it as you mentioned the ability to add pdfs. Inquiring minds want to know. And thank you again for such a valuable resource.

Virgil

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2021, 10:02:59 pm »
Virgil: Instead of selling the website for offline use, on DVDs as I was doing until January this year, I now sell the offline version on usb sticks instead. This is handy for people who, for example, have a laptop, PC or notebook in areas with a poor or slow internet connection, (e.g. archaeologists on field work) or who take their notebook to coin fairs, or simply to have a backup.
There is an ad amongst the wildwind banners to buy it, otherwise you can go straight to it here:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/contribute.html

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2021, 10:13:34 pm »
Thank you for the explanation. I may buy one or just make a donation to help support it. I think it would be a nice thing to have.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2022, 08:51:11 am »
My apologies to anyone who was getting an "insecure connection" or "Potential Security Risk" or similar message (depending on your browser) this morning on the https:.. version of wildwinds. The server people wrote to me:

The SSL Certificate should have been automatically renewed but due to recent issues with one of cPanel's SSL issuers this was not the case. I have switched your server to use LetsEncrypt which has now issued an SSL certificate as expected. The same issue should not re-occur in future

It was happening between ca. 04:30 a.m. and 13:00 hrs English time today. So sorry about that !
Dane

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2022, 11:07:18 am »
I wanted to look at a DVD the other day, and realized none of my four laptops has a DVD player. Good idea to switch to USB.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2022, 12:47:12 pm »
I had never a noticed a "donate" link on WW previously.

I just went out and made a donation via PayPal.

I too find it an absolutely indispensable tool for attribution and researching for a given coin.

Craig

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2022, 05:07:09 pm »
Dane,
While I have no problems using the site, I get a security warning every time I use the search function. I just click on "go anyway" because I know the site is fine. It may be off putting to others to see that. I always assumed the site just wasn't using https and, when I just checked, I see it still isn't and it is labeled as insecure. Not a problem since you aren't doing things that require security. I didn't even realize there was an https version. Now I know. But the search function is still not secure even using the https version based on my quick test just now. The difference is that the search box tells you the form is not secure before you enter search parameters. Once clicking to run the search, you still get the security warning. It is no big deal, but thought I would let you know. I love Wildwinds and use it all the time.

Joe, you can get an external DVD player for almost nothing that has a USB connection. I still use music Cds, so having a player is essential for me.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2022, 06:11:13 pm »
Virgil
See my note above about the security error.
It looks like your computer or whatever you are using is still using this morning's error page.
So you need to clear your cache.
Alternately, type in the following - DO NOT USE AUTO-COMPLETE
https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/index.html

You might have to use the reload button a couple times to force your pc to reload the new page and not the error page. Some browsers need the CTRL F5, or SHIFT F5 buttons.
I have had reports from other people who were seeing the security error thing and after forcing a reload, it was all back to normal again.

This is the problem with new browsers (since the mid 1990s) - "for your convenience and browsing enjoyment" they automatically set "fetch the page from my cache", which is ridiculous, especially with pages which change a lot (I am forever telling people to force a reload when I tell them their coin is now on Wildwinds, but they can't see it).
I need to see whether there is a one-liner that I can add to the nearly 7,000 html pages bit by bit which would automatically force a reload.

So force a reload and/or clear your cache of Monday's wildwinds pages and it should work. Please report back.

Dane

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2022, 08:22:57 pm »
Hi Dane,
Thanks for your response. I will try it, but what I described is how Wildwinds has always worked for me on every computer I have ever used it on. I don't think I ever tried to force it to use the https address before today. Which is probably six or seven various laptops and desktops over many years. It doesn't really bother me, but I thought I would report my experience in light of your post about the security issue.

Virgil

Jake B

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2022, 02:01:23 pm »
hi there looking to id some coins I have.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2022, 08:14:15 pm »
Jake - you can either
- post good, clear SHARP images with any surrounding empty areas cropped away, to the Identification Help section here on Forvm, or
- compare them with coins on wildwinds if you can read who the emperor or Greek city is
- or look on other coin identification sites such as acsearch
- or look on the RPC website if the coin is a Provincial coin from the early emperors (RPC have most provincial coins from a large number of emperors but not e.g. Septimius Severus and family nor Gallienus and family yet)
- You can send me an email - my email address is in my profile.

But this Wildwinds section is not actually the right place to ask for coin identification.

Dane

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2022, 09:08:00 am »
Just a heads up on my current Spring Cleaning .. I have decided to tackle all the multiple example entries of RIC coins - one emperor had, for example, 11 example of the same RIC entry and 10 of those coins were awful, from the early days of the internet (20098/2009) when space was at a premium, so the coins were either very small, or they were in very poor condition. (Wildwinds founder Dave Surber, bless his memory, used to add every example he found on ebay back then)
This deletion and/or replacement by nicer examples also requires having to change those blasted Sear5 entries (I would love to delete the entire Sear5 folder, which is more work and trouble than it is worth, but I know that some smaller sellers primarily use Sear, so use that folder to look up coins)..
So if you see a Sear page you have visited before, but which now shows blank entries, you just need to use Reload page a couple of times to force a reload, instead of using the old page from your cache.

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2022, 09:44:27 am »
Thanks for all the hard work, Dane. We appreciate it. +++
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2022, 11:32:29 pm »
Indeed!
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
How's this for cheek ?
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2023, 06:20:48 am »
I like people to ask me when they want to use images from wildwinds for theses, articles, book covers, TV programs (!), etc and usually it is no problem, unless it is an image I had to pay for, or the museum or owner has given me exclusive permission.

I received an email yesterday which got me so angry, I was shaking... (I marked some parts below in bold text)
My name is [name removed] and I am anamateur coin collector from Greece. For 48 years, I worked as a doctor (PlasticSurgeon). Since my retirement, I have written books about ancient Greek coins.

Specifically, I have written seven issuesof approximately 200 pages each, concerning ancient Greek coins with images exclusively sourced from Wildwinds.
If you would be interested in the publication of these books, and could provide support in this process (specifically by identifying a suitable publishing house for these volumes and shouldering the expenses related to the publicity, printing, and distribution of these books), I would be more than happy to receive your feedback.

So this bloke, who apparently has absolutely no respect for other peoples' work, flaunts copyright law, steals my unpaid work and images - many of them contributed by of a lot of Forum members - has the b****y audacity not only to brag about it, but to ask me to pay for his plagiarism !!!???
He should be ashamed of himself.
I sent him a suitable reply  ;D

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2023, 02:49:01 pm »
Damn, why did he do all that work without even asking for permission first????  And then he contacts you like that????  Wow.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2023, 03:09:09 pm »
Truly unbelievable!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity