Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julian coin date help?  (Read 639 times)

thewumpus99

Julian coin date help?
« on: September 27, 2008, 11:53:19 am »
I've got a question about the reverse inscription of this Julian-era coin.  I found an article on JSTOR that indicated that these inscriptions relate to vows which "were offered annually for the safety of the emperors, but every ten years a particularly impressive ceremony was held to record the fulfillment of those vows for the last decade and renew them for the next" (Bellinger, 1958).

Is the decade schedule for these ceremonies known?  Since this decade ceremony presumably only happened once while Julian was Augustus, is it possible to track down the exact year that this coin was minted?  Alternatively, can I count ten years forward from a certain starting date?

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Julian coin date help?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:51:07 pm »
This is what David Sear's website says on the subject

"Vota  (plural of votum). A vow made to a god in order to obtain a divine favour stipulated in advance. The granting of the request obliged the vower to fulfil his promise. This usually took the form of a sacrifice to the deity or an offering to his (or her) temple. Public vota in Imperial times were normally for the welfare of the emperor over a stated period of time (five or ten years) and were regularly undertaken (vota suscepta) and hopefully paid (vota soluta). Sometimes they were more specific, relating to the safety of the emperor on a particularly hazardous journey or military campaign, or the current state of his health. The undertaking and fulfillment of these public vows was frequently recorded on the coinage and in the late Empire especially may provide useful evidence for the chronological arrangement of issues."

The inscription on your (very nice) coin, VOT X MVLT XX means "Ten year vows redeemed, many twenty year vows undertaken". As the combined reign of Julian as Caesar and Augustus was less than ten years he must presumably have made his vows before becoming emperor!
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 02:02:52 pm »
By this time, the period of the vows had lost any real connection with the time the emperor had been in power for. Jovian lasted about eight months or so, and issued large quantities of VOT V MVLT X coin, which should have meant that he'd served five years as emperor!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Glenn Simonelli

• Consul
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 07:49:43 am »
Since your coin proclaims Julian as Augustus, and he lasted less than two years as Augustus, you know the coin was minted between A.D. 361 and 363.

Glenn Simonelli
Glenn Simonelli
http://feltemp.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity