Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I finally got one!  (Read 1495 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
I finally got one!
« on: May 13, 2007, 09:42:14 am »
This denarius of Titus, though humble in apperance, is to me quite a thrilling addition to my collection. I have been looking for this type in at least VF condition for a long time.

A carry over type from Vespasian's coinage, the reverse depicts a figure (statue?) on top of a rostral column. I'm at a loss concering what it symbolizes. The BMCRE suggests that it is the colossus erected by Vespasian near the Colosseum with the features of either Nero or Titus. Another theory is that the column celebrates a Naval victory from the Jewish War (perhaps the Sea of Galilee?). Either way I love this reverse.

BMCRE 29, RSC 289
Rome Mint, 79 AD

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: I finally got one!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:51:09 am »
Hi Vespasian!

A very nice coin! About the meaning of the rev. we have had a thread https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=11892.msg83115#msg83115

Best regards

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:54:45 am »
Hi Vespasian70,

I'm glad you could get it, it's a  very nice addition to your tremendous collection.
Congratulations

Regards
Potator

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:22:46 pm »
Thanks Jochen for the link...the debate continues about the reverse. After rereading Curtis' comments concerning it most likely not a Judaean commerative, I'm inclined to believe the same. A revival of an Augustan reverse is the likely ansewer...but why that particular one and what did it orginally symbolize?

Thank you for the kind words Potator. I have worked hard on putting together my humble little collection and it's nice to hear someone who enjoys it.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 10:27:59 pm »
Great!  Your collection is growing wonderfully!  Congrats on a really nice coin.

Best, Noah

Vladimir

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 11:14:53 pm »
Congratulations Vespasian,  may I ask which  denarius  from you collection is rarest ? Which one was hardest to get? Do you have a favorite coin?

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 11:36:37 pm »
Vladimir,

My rarest denarius would have to be this one https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=241&pos=18 which I believe will be a plate coin in the upcoming RIC IIa.

The Titus rostral column denarius along with this one https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1192&pos=18 are right up there with the hardest ones for me to obtain. Though they are listed as rare, I'm not sure why they were that difficult to find.

My favorite changes...but may be a tie between these two: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1192&pos=3   
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=241&pos=0

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 03:16:43 am »
I think your IOVIS CVSTOS is about the nicest denarius I ever saw, its portrait, too.  Pat L.

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 03:31:13 am »
Nice coin of the major historical interest.
Definitely, we have a numerous numismatic evidences of a  naval "battle of the century". 
Is it really missing in the available historical records?
Was the battle on the lake a minor skirmish?
As we know, Vespasian was a brilliant military commander and his
troops could easily fight against outnumbering enemy forces on the land,
probably, even if the ratio was 1:10.  On the lake the advantage of Romans
was far from being obvious and destroying enemies sailing
on the lake was a tough problem since the Roman navy was far away.  That is why
Vespasian and Titus could be proud to solve it so efficiently.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 04:33:42 am »
It is another wonderful coin amongst a very targeted collection in terms of quality and selection.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Martin

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 02:03:39 pm »
Numerianus,

Even though this coin most likely doesn't commemorate a naval victory, there are other coins issued by Vespasian which do....begging the question: what naval victory? I'm at a loss for the reason or event. The Sea of Galilee 'battle' was more of a mopping up action by the army, as Curtis has pointed out in the other thread. Perhaps some battle near the coast (Joppa?) may be the answer.

Thank you Noah, Pat and Martin for the compliments. It's always a pleasure sharing my coins with pleasant and knowledgeable people and I always look forward to seeing your coins too.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity