Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Discussion curious circumscription on Anastasius Solidus  (Read 458 times)

Offline minimee

• Praetorian
Discussion curious circumscription on Anastasius Solidus
« on: April 16, 2023, 01:24:55 pm »
Dear fellows,
im a coin collector from germany. so my english isnt very skilled.
I bought this coin a time ago. Solidus Anastasius I, Sear 3, MIB 4a2.
Since that im questioning about the curious form of circumscription on the AV.
Does anyone got an idea how that can come?
I dont think that it comes from rusty or worn dies. A miscutten AV-die? Ive never seen such.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Re: Discussion curious circumscription on Anastasius Solidus
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 05:51:21 pm »
I see a star in the reverse right field, between Victory and the legend, which is an element of the design.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 08:43:47 pm »
I see some different things going on at different locations, and I wonder what parts of the legend you are referring to.

I see some evidence of die rust on the obverse, particularly at the DNAN, the IVS, and on the bottom of the breastplate. But then there seems to be something else odd about the STA at the top. These letters do not seem properly cut, or perhaps there was something about the strike, or perhaps there was some damage -- which may or may not have coincided with the holing.

On the reverse the issues are different.  I do not see evidence of die rust. The strike is even, and the letters are all clearly readable -- but it looks like there may be a double strike or overstrike.  In particular, the border looks odd and uneven.  There is a very thick border at seven o'clock, which becomes quite narrow at nine o'clock.  From two o'clock to five o'clock, it looks like the tips of letters from an earlier strike are still visible on the border.  At the B from CONOB, and maybe also the O, it looks like a double of the letter appears on the raised border.   

Offline minimee

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 05:37:09 am »
Hi Obryzum,
Im refering to the DNANA part of the AV-inscription. Im wondering about the lines on top of the letters.
For the RV i agree in full

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 12:15:52 pm »
The DN is the abbreviation for Dominus Noster, Latin for "Our Lord", a common prefix for Byzantine legends.  ANA is the beginning of his name.  The lines above the letters are most likely just the ornamentation of the letter style.

Craig

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 01:35:25 pm »
Quote from: Martin H2 on April 17, 2023, 05:37:09 am
Im refering to the DNANA part of the AV-inscription. Im wondering about the lines on top of the letters.

You have the coin in hand, so a much better view, but in the photo it looks possibly caused by die breakage. Below is a coin image showing die breakage on both sides with a somewhat similar look.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 08:02:23 pm »
Here are a couple more with a similar effect.  Whatever caused it, the coins all appear to be from official mints, and not imitations.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity