Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Heraclius follis imitation?  (Read 422 times)

Offline Bebek2006

• Praetorian
Heraclius follis imitation?
« on: April 14, 2023, 08:51:43 am »
Hi!
I have bought a follis of Heraclius overstrucked on Justin II follis. In my opinion the style of letters and bust is incorect. I think also this coin was strucked with damaged dies. The majority of Heraclius coins is made much better than mine specimen, for this reason I think this coin is an imitation. Am I right?
Could it by an arabic or maby military imitation?

Regards,
Karol

Offline Bebek2006

• Praetorian
Re: Heraclius follis imitation?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 11:21:43 am »
BUMP.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 08:54:50 pm »
I think it is probably an official mint issue. I see no problem with the reverse.  For the obverse, I note that the portrait hows the face with a V shape.  Most of Heraclius's coins show a more rounded face, but a few specimens from the earlier years also have the shape that spilled over from the Focas years.   

Offline Bebek2006

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 11:54:57 am »
Hi!
Lot of thanks for Your answer.
IMO on the reverse for example officina letter looks strange, not like common gamma, M and CON are engraved very scruffy and word ANNO should be much smaller, becaus it is outside the wreath...

Regards,
Karol

All coins are guaranteed for eternity