Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with determining the grade of a Gordianus III, AR Antoninianus  (Read 426 times)

Offline Diego G

• Praetorian

Hello, I would like some help to define the grade of this antoninianus. Any hints? Thanks!

Best regards,

Diego.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Re: Help with determining the grade of a Gordianus III, AR Antoninianus
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 07:25:19 am »

Hey Diego: Grading is very subjective and having the coin in hand would help. But from what I can see in the photos I’d say XF. The coin has full, readable legends, is fairly well centered, the devices are well struck, appears to have little wear, retains some luster, but there is a flan or striking issue in the gaps of the dotted border on obverse and reverse. I’m neither a dealer or expert, just a journeyman collector, and from that perspective I’d say XF.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 10:12:18 am »
I agree it is EF (XF).
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 08:52:49 pm »
My shorthand for grading antoninianii is this: Can I clearly distinguish the ear from the radiate crown? If so, the obverse is generally EF.

Offline Zenon M

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 10:02:35 am »
Obverse EF (XF), reverse almost EF (XF).
ZM

All coins are guaranteed for eternity