Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Islamic 1/2 Dirham Weight with Inscription  (Read 411 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Islamic 1/2 Dirham Weight with Inscription
« on: February 10, 2023, 08:57:43 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is another small bronze weight with Kufic? Arabic inscription.  Any ideas on translation and date would be appreciated.  I have Richard Plant's book but I can't identify that third letter from the right (and I am not sure of the others either!).  Could it be Ahmad عمحد, or Amjad, (Glorify)  عمجد ? Thanks for any corrections.  Jimi (V-drome).  I may also try to post this in the weights and scales section.

My other lead and bronze weights gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-5252

BCC BW32
Islamic Bronze Weight
Caesarea Maritima  1/2 Dirham
7th-12th Century CE
Obv: Uncertain Arabic inscription
in incuse circular punch.
Rev: Blank.  Flat, nearly square
slab, cut from a sheet of metal
and stamped in relief. 
AE 8.0 x 7.9 x 3.25mm.  Wt: 1.46gm
cf. Holland, W.W.O.C.M., ch.8. #135-#141,
and Holland, "ANSMN 31 (1986)" #377-#431
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1970's
J. Berlin Caesarea Collection

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Islamic 1/2 Dirham Weight with Inscription
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 03:33:29 am »
I am still trying to figure this one out.  Could the third letter from the right be Ayin, making عمئم (eimyim, "circulate"?), according to Google Translate?

bakkar

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 02:05:04 pm »
I think the word is a masculine Arabic name Tamim
تميم

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 09:43:00 pm »
Wonderful.  Thank you once again, Bakkar!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity