Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help needed to identify Lead Seals  (Read 482 times)

Offline Kath D2

• Office Manager
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Legionary
Help needed to identify Lead Seals
« on: May 26, 2022, 02:26:24 pm »
We have a group of lead seals we need help in identifying.  I will be posting them one at a time here.

Any assistance with any information on these coins would be greatly appreciated!

Kath Durand
Forum Ancient Coins

99057  16.596g  22.90mm   Monogram / legend ? + <q>D</q>HM<q>P</q> ? ....
Kath Durand
Office Manager
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Help needed to identify Lead Seals
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 02:45:54 pm »
You will do better putting this request in the Byzantine or seals sections below.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 06:37:53 pm »
Hi, Kath.  The monogram reads ΘEOTOKE BOEΘIE - Theotoke Boethei. It is an invocation of the Virgin, meaning literally `God-bearer, stand by (help)...´.  On the reverse I can make out the name ΔHMITPIῳ (Demetrios), along with titles, one of which might be XAPT... (chartoularios, an administrative position).  This is probably from the early to middle Byzantine period 7th to 9th century CE.  I am sorry I don't have more for you but I will keep looking.  I agree with Djmacdo, "seals and tesserae" post will likely get more help.

Regards, Jimi

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 07:57:40 am »
Yes, Demetrios. And chartoularios. I think of Anatolikon (ton Anatolikon). The part in the middle is not standard. It might read TON VK for '(epi) ton oik(eiakon), but usually there's a dignity before this and the 'epi' is missing.

DHMIT
PIW TONV
K, XAPTO
LAP TON
ANATO

Offline Kath D2

• Office Manager
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Legionary
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 02:21:50 pm »
Thank you Gert and Jimi!  You help is very appreciated.

Kath D.
Kath Durand
Office Manager
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity