Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Information on Japanese Ichi Bu Gin coins  (Read 4894 times)

Offline tjaart

• Consul
Information on Japanese Ichi Bu Gin coins
« on: August 20, 2016, 04:25:45 pm »
Dear all,

I recently picked up a couple of Ichibu gin silver coins/ingots from Japan. To help me identify them a bit better I bought the book by David Hartill called Early Japanese Coins. Although I could identify the three coins to a reasonable level, I am still struggling with the finer details. From what I understand, the differences in the letters and strokes can represent different mints? I am struggling a bit to understand the Hartill book.

I also not sure if the countermark seen on the 3rd coin in the photos have any meaning?

I am attaching the photo of the three coins to show the differences.

Does anyone know if there any more information somewhere on these intriguing coins? Info on the variation in the symbols as well as the countermarks would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tjaart

Offline pingu

• Legionary
Re: Information on Japanese Ichi Bu Gin coins
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:59:36 am »
Hello,

you can assign the parts easily.:

On the edge of the coin are blossoms. One blossom is often twisted of it. In the appendix there is the allocation and an example.

I hope it is clear - translated with Google

Greetings from Germany
pingu

Offline pingu

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:12:58 am »
The small stamp on the 3rd coin is a countermark of a moneychanger

pingu

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 12:26:57 pm »
Thank you, pingu! I appreciate the information.

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 08:57:17 am »
These are the famous rectangular samurai coins of the Tokugawa shogunate. Their unusual shape is reminiscent of a miniature silver bar or ingot. Covered in exotic Japanese calligraphy with sakura (cherry blossom) borders, bu silver coins unequivocally exude the style of traditional samurai Japan. The coin dealer I bought my 1837-54 Japanese Silver 1 Bu from incorrectly catalogued and completely misdated the bu coin later to 1868-9. I had to thoroughly research early Japanese coinage in order to get the earlier correct dating.

Japan, Tempo (1837-68), Silver 1 Bu, Tempo ND (1837-54), DHJ 9.80, KM C16, JNDA 09-50, JC 04-5, Pq sakura (cherry blossom) variety, EF, struck in 99.1% silver, rectangular, nicely toned, two incuse sakura on short edges, three incuse sakura on long edges, weight 8.6g, maximum diameter 23.0mm, die axis 0°, Ginza (Edo) mint, 1837-54; obverse 一分銀 (1 bu silver) downward, within rectangular linear frame, 20 sakura border surrounding with ‘P’ sakura inverted; reverse 銀座 (Ginza, silver mint) downward on right, 常是 (Jōze, mint official) downward on left, top left and right stroke of 常 curved, bottom two strokes of 是 cross over, 定 (Jō - guaranteed) incuse countermark above, all within rectangular linear frame, 20 sakura border surrounding with ‘q’ sakura inverted.

Offline Omri B

• Auxiliary
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 05:12:51 am »
I recently got one of those as well, can you guys help me figure out if it's legit and maybe what range of years it's been struck on? Also, I saw that the coin's rim is filled with minor star-shaped dents, is it normal?

Offline pingu

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 07:52:01 am »
The counterstamps on the edge are normal.
For further help please have a picture of the front and back
pingu

All coins are guaranteed for eternity