Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hostilian as Augustus on a Viminacium AE25-26  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Hostilian as Augustus on a Viminacium AE25-26
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:00:09 pm »
I have a Viminacium AE25-26 with the obverse legend IMP C VAI [or VAT] HOST M QVINTVS [or QVIHTVS] AVG, and the year XII in the exergue.  My assumption is that, as Hostilian was only an Augustus for roughly four months, this coin is one of the less common types within the Viminacium series.  This assumption appears to be confirmed by my internet research, as I have located no examples of a Hostilian as Augustus for sale or in a data bank of sold coins.  Any thoughts?

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Hostilian as Augustus on a Viminacium AE25-26
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 05:16:16 pm »
Hello and welcome to our community,

they are rare, this is my specimen:

Viminacium in Moesia Superior, Hostilian (as Augustus), dated year 12, 250-251 AD.,
Æ Sestertius (25-26 mm / 12,11 g),
Obv.: IMP [C VAL H]OST M QVIHTVS AVG , laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Hostilian right, seen from behind.
Rev.: P M S C - OL V[IM] / AN XII , Moesia standing facing, head left, extending hands to bull and lion standing at feet on either side.
cf. Pick (AMNG I), 52, 155 ; cf. Martin 4' 07' 3 / 4' 07' 8.

Helvetica lists 3 different obverse dies in her list (based on Pick and Martin´s comprehensive catalogue):
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dane/moesia.xls

regards

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:09:53 am »

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:21:39 am »
Thanks.  Every now and then one gets lucky and finds something different in a batch of uncleaned coins.

Offline scottatlaw

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:57:36 am »
Yeah, they are pretty hard to come by.  I only know of one seller with one available right now.  You'll see them pop up on ebay maybe once ever 4 or 5 months.  The real trick is finding one that is fully attributable and looks halfway decent.  The reason that you can't find a copy of this coin listed in coinarchives.com is that there realy are extremely few that are of a higher grade.  The vast majority of Hostilian's Augustus Viminacium coins are in pretty rough shape (as demonstrated by the images above).  To make matters worse, there are a decent number of legend variants, so if you are missing part of a legend, your coin might not be 100% attributable.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 10:11:45 am »
I once sold a really decent one on **** for 10€.  ???
Andreas Reich

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 11:55:10 am »
The one that I found lacks patina (perhaps due to my amateurish cleaning skills) but otherwise has considerable eye-appeal.  There are a few letters that must be inferred, but most of these, I believe, can be  inferred confidently and should not, therefore, thwart positive attribution.  My understanding is that the legend variants involve (a) the substitution of either an I or a T for the L in VAL, and (b) the substitution of an H for the N in QVINTVS.  I am fairly certain that my coin has the N in QVINTVS (someone who has looked at more of these should readily be able to confirm this), and am also certain that mine does not have an L in VAL, as the lower portion of the letters in this word are clear.  However, the upper portion of the letters are off the flan, so that I can not ascertain whether it is an I or a T.  I'll have to study the bottoms of these letters on other coins to see whether the shape of the lower part of these letters are distinguishable from one another.     

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 12:21:58 pm »
Stkp,

What about posting a picture of your coin ?

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 12:28:14 pm »
I would love to, and perhaps will tackle the "project" this weekend.  I have never photographed a coin, and have in the past only scanned them, with mixed results.

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 05:57:25 pm »
Dear Hostilian Coin Enthusiasts,

While trying to scour the web for more Hostilian AVG bronzes from Viminacium, I found the following CAE specimen:

http://www.rudnik.com/rome/anarchy1/htmls/R1531.html

Rudnik Numismatics describes it as “a very scarce Viminacium issue of Hostilian as Augustus”.  At first, I thought the description was just plain wrong; but later, I realized the significance of the coin’s date: AN XIII.  As this thread already makes clear, there are AN XII specimens of Hostilian as Augustus.  From this, are we to assume that there was a lack of communication or literacy among the Viminacium celators to continue producing coinage with outdated obverse dies; or was it a case of being frugal?

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 06:15:37 pm »
Martin 4'11'1 is a Hostilian Augustus type of year 13, so it should exist.

But the attached photo doesn´t show this clearly.

(If i review my specimen it may also be AN XIII ??)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 03:02:31 pm »
I am posting the coin with respect to which I started this thread.

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 03:08:10 am »
Hi All,

I'm reviving this old post to share this nice grade (rare!) Hostilian Augustus coin (also rare!) from Viminacium which i obtained recently.
As i'm not so familiair with provincial coinage, does anyone know which literature reference is used most for Viminacium coins? I see references to sources of AMNG, Martin and Moush
Secondly, i see conflicting dates regarding the reign of Hostilian as Augustus, some sources stating he allready died in July 251, others that he died in November 251. For me, November would make more sense, as Volusian was elavated to Augustus in that month.
Lastly, is there any concensus on the place of his death? One source stated he died in Viminacium, which would this type of coin extra special :)
Thanks in advance!

Obverse: IMP C VAI HOST M QVINTVS AVG
Reverse: PMS COL VIM, AN XII
Struck: June - November (?) 251 AD
Weight: 13.73 g
Axis: 0600h

Gr Luuk

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...