Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sidon Coin - Dating and Verification  (Read 625 times)

Offline Falderal

• Consul
    • The Metaphor Observatory
Sidon Coin - Dating and Verification
« on: December 01, 2021, 05:23:17 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm struggling to put together a small Hanukah gift of several Jewish-history related coins to a local Jewish school. This one is very hard for me to see. I cannot read it, but I think this is similar to SNG Cop 221, Lindgren 2324: "Year 34 (78-77 BC). Jugate busts of Tyche, veiled and turreted, and Demos right, ΘEAΣ, Phoenician galley sailing left; date L ΔΛ above, Phoenician inscription ("of the Sidonians"?) below.

Many thanks. So far, I have Antiochus IV, Vespasian, Rabbel II, a Canaan scarab, and I'm searching desperately through even my culls for a First Jewish Revolt prutah but fear I may have already given them all away (my single favorite coin species ever).
"Coining a word leaves your mouth minty fresh!" - G.G. Falderal

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Sidon Coin - Dating and Verification
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 02:12:27 am »
Hi Falderal

Definitely a coin of Sidon but it will prove difficult to give an exact identification due to the amount of crud on your coin, weight and size may help. Can you see a star-in-crescent or any other discernible feature to the right of Tyche ?

The majority of this type usually have ΣΙΔΩΝΟΣ ΘΕΑΣ above the galley.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2982076

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=318274

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8534759

Offline Falderal

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 01:58:07 am »
Sorry for the delayed response, Arados.

The crescent-star is possible, but obscured - the encrustation is sadly more resilient than my hands. I'll guide the school on further cleaning and exploration. I tried polishing it and now Tyche is clear. I still think the artwork and font more resemble 1st century BC than 1st century AD renditions of this species.

Either way, it'll belong to the students of Chabad tomorrow, along with 7 other coins - two gifted from another Forum member, including the First Revolt coin I'd hoped to include. I'll try to get a reshoot in the daylight tomorrow and see if we can add to the identification.

Offline Falderal

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 06:13:06 pm »
Many thanks for everyone's help with identification, and especially two crucial coins added to the Zose Hanukkah gift to the student centre by a respected member of this forum, who will remain anonymous unless they reply to this post. Here are photos of the entire set that went to the centre, for those interested - not to show it off, but for you to enjoy what you know those young people will experience, like we all did so long ago. All items connect Jewish history. IF ANY OF THESE ARE MISATTRIBUTED, LET ME KNOW!!!

Falderal (John)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 07:12:47 pm »
That is such an incredible and wonderful gift. And hearing about the benefactor from Forum, not to mention your own actions, just makes me feel so good about being part of this community.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline Falderal

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 07:21:01 pm »
To be quite specific, our Forum member added the two most meaningful coins, the John Hyrcanus, which also had some clear proto-Hebrew script, and the First Jewish Revolt coin, a crucial time in Jewish history. So very beautiful these coins, that it is an honor to pass them on.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity