Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Republican Semis (Iberian imitation?) with symbol reverse  (Read 557 times)

Offline Jack

• Praetorian
BLUF: What coin is this imitating?

This coin came described as:

REPUBLIC, Anonymous.
Semis.
211 - 207 BC. Hispania mint.
Ovb/ Head of Saturn right, S behind.
Rev/ Prow of galley right and S abive, ROMA below.
Cat: Crawford 56/3.
Bronze (Æ) 2,3g - 17mm.

I'm pretty sure the dealer knows more than I do, but I am still skeptical of this attribution. The coin is about a tenth of the requisite mass to qualify as a Cr. 56/3 (approx. 22 g), and both the obverse and reverse seem stylistically incorrect for an official issue. Furthermore, it appears that there is a symbol (or an imitation of one) in the upper left field on the reverse. My suspicion is that this coin is some kind of Iberian imitation. (The dealer is located in Spain, and offers many local finds for sale.) My question is, what coin is this imitating?

Preliminary suspicions: Roman Republican semis of 91 BC (approx. 6.5 g.)
References:
BMCRR.I: cf. 2196-2206, 2217-2219 (p283-285).
CRR: cf. 679a, 680-682 (p104-105).
RRC.I: cf. 339/2 (p340).
SR.I: cf. 901 (p218).

What is the symbol on the reverse, in the upper left field? Human foot? Prow? Victory?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights!
-Jack

Offline Jack

• Praetorian
Re: Roman Republican Semis (Iberian imitation?) with symbol reverse
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 04:05:21 pm »
Of course, immediately AFTER I posted, I found more information. Here are two links to similar coins, for those interested:

[COMMERCIAL LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
http://augustuscoins.com/ (about half-way down, under "Roman Republican semis imitation from Spain.")

All from same dies???

Does anyone, by any chance, have either the work by Crawford or the work by Burgos cited in the links?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 04:37:43 pm »
I can't help with Crawford but that is a lovely semis

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 09:23:49 pm »
I think you will get more perspective from the Ripolles/Witschonke article, available on academia.edu.   It is a long read but it speaks a lot to the die links that you are interested in.  These imitative pieces are very variable in weight and much else.  Your link above, although nominally commercial, is to a very well-informed researcher who has narrowed the issue considerably in his listing.  (The 56/3 attribution, as you surmised, is way off; many sellers stop researching at "anonymous struck bronze [Denomination]..."
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Jack

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 09:51:42 am »
Of course, immediately AFTER I posted, I found more information. Here are two links to similar coins, for those interested:

[COMMERCIAL LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
http://augustuscoins.com/ (about half-way down, under "Roman Republican semis imitation from Spain.")

All from same dies???

Does anyone, by any chance, have either the work by Crawford or the work by Burgos cited in the links?

Gah! My apologies about the "commercial link." Honest mistake on my part.

I can't help with Crawford but that is a lovely semis

Thanks! It's turning out to be a fascinating little coin.

I think you will get more perspective from the Ripolles/Witschonke article, available on academia.edu.   It is a long read but it speaks a lot to the die links that you are interested in.  These imitative pieces are very variable in weight and much else.  Your link above, although nominally commercial, is to a very well-informed researcher who has narrowed the issue considerably in his listing.  (The 56/3 attribution, as you surmised, is way off; many sellers stop researching at "anonymous struck bronze [Denomination]..."

Thanks for suggesting the article.

For anyone learning along with me, I am including two passages from the article that address the questions regarding the weights of the coins, and the dating of these (quasi-unofficial, definitely Iberian) issues. I am also including images of the same type of coin from the plates in the article.

Thanks again for suggesting the article!

-Jack

All coins are guaranteed for eternity