Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caesar donatives - information needed  (Read 732 times)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Caesar donatives - information needed
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »
I'm interested in the subject and I also want to make sure I have my facts right for a particular discussion.  I'd like to know about different Caesar donatives to the public.  I remember reading about one that was 6,000 denarii (would that be roughly in the ballpark of $75,000?) for each citizen.  I would love to know about any more that were recorded.

I don't admire Caesar nearly as much as Sulla, but as despots go, he certainly wasn't that terribly bad. 

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Caesar donatives - information needed
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:25:26 am »
Not too hard to come off as a decent guy when you can avoid taxing the rich while also rewarding the poor thanks to money taken from your enemies.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Caesar donatives - information needed
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:48:55 am »
Yes, true!  I'd still take him, though!

Even Sulla was Mr. Nice Guy by modern standards, to be fair, though.

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
CCAESAR

All coins are guaranteed for eternity