Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Re: Calling all Kushan Experts.....  (Read 983 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Calling all Kushan Experts.....
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:48:29 am »
I photographed these coins in the British Museum a couple of weeks ago, in the Enlightenment Gallery. Perhaps the Kushan and/or Bactrian experts on list could help me add a description to all of them, that I could add to my snap-shot descriptions?

Andrew

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 10:43:34 am »
 I got a few of them for you.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:45:10 am »
I got a few of them for you.

Thanks. Any one care to try the Bactrians (or at least those in the green background picture)?

Given my ignorance on the coins of these regimes, a little more detail would also be appreciated. I don't even know what Millenium some of these coins come from, let alone century or year, nor what the denominations are, nor what the name of the regime was (I'm guessing "Kushan" but that is just a guess; I guess they are names of kings which you appended(?). NB I'm not looking for catalogue numbers or detailed descriptions, just approximate dates and denominations and names of kings/regimes.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I can assure you that it's not especially critical to answer them - I just wanted a caption to put below the photo from the BM display case that listed what the coins were (the BM case helpfully describes them as Kushan and Bactrian with no more detail).

For those looking forward to the BM's new money gallery, I'm told that the coin descriptions will be exceptionally minimal. "Object: Coin. Material: Bronze. Era: Ancient Rome, 753 BC to 491 AD" will be the format (give or take).

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:14:59 pm »
Middle of the top row is gonna be Shaka and bottom row next to last is Azes II

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:39:10 pm »
I don't know much about Kushan but can help with the Bactrian coins.

1. row, 1. Pantaleon AE square "double unit".
2. row, 2. Menander I. Soter Drachm.
3. row, 1. Hermaios Tetradrachm
same, 2. Apollodotos I. Drachm.
4. row, 1. Menander I. Soter Drachm.
4. row, 2. Azes II. Tetradrachm.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Xerxes King of Kings

• Consul
  • I am kind...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:58:45 pm »
I think the first coin of the 'Bactrian Coins' photo may be Agathocles, not Pantaleon

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:12:07 pm »
 first pic, second row, first coin is Kujula Kadphises

Obv. BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΣTHPOΣΣV EPMAIOV Bust of Hermaios right (although your legend may differ slightly)
 Rev. Kharoshti legend around:
Kujula Kasasa Kushana Yavugasa Dhramathidasa, Hercules standing facing, holding club and lion skin

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 01:18:49 pm »
Square bronze is indeed Agathocles the legend above , below lion BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΓAΘOKΛEOYΣ

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 09:24:13 pm »
I don't know much about Kushan but can help with the Bactrian coins.

1. row, 1. Pantaleon AE square "double unit".
2. row, 2. Menander I. Soter Drachm.
3. row, 1. Hermaios Tetradrachm
same, 2. Apollodotos I. Drachm.
4. row, 1. Menander I. Soter Drachm.
4. row, 2. Azes II. Tetradrachm.

Lars

Thanks Lars, and others who replied.

As the British Museum coin gallery was closed pending a redesign I went through the general museum galleries and photographed every interesting ancient coin that appeared. So, once done editing them, there will be many more photos of this type coming in the next weeks. Pictured below the fold, for example, a number of rather nice Ptolemaic coins, as well as some random Greeks from the Richard Payne Knight collection. I'll upload them over time, and will probably ask for ID advice on others too.

Andrew

All coins are guaranteed for eternity