Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wildwinds question  (Read 865 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Wildwinds question
« on: March 21, 2007, 06:09:45 pm »
I have just gotten a coin that I think I have found the attribution for, there is nothing like it (that I found) in wildwinds.  Should I send them pics of the coin, do they accept them?  What is the proper way?

The coin is a Constantine II
OBV CONSTANTINVSIVNNOBC
REV CAESARVM NOSTRORVM / VOT V (no wreath)
EX TSBVI

If I am right it is a RIC VII, Thessalonica, 95
(R5)

Would that be enough info?
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Wildwinds question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:23:11 pm »
I'm guessing you'll find submission information on the site somewhere.  If it's accurate, then you have enough information for submission.  It looks very strange though....

gavignano

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 09:57:22 pm »
I'd be interested in hearing some more opinions on this coin too - it looks quite odd for the period, but if it indeed is an R5, then it may be among those occasional weird offerings from Thessalonica.

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 10:23:01 pm »
on coin archives, the style is consistent with Licinvs coins.  I went through RIC VIII Thess and they list several VOT V's without wreaths. 

The coin is 3.2g, 19.95mm

I bought it because of the odd reverse

Posting a pic of one of the licinivs coins
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 10:54:44 pm »
Wildwinds database is being ported to Tantaluscoins.net, they have a very powerful deep search funtion for subscribers. They offer free accounts too, but I suspect once the wildwinds is in completely it will be a powerful attribution tool. You might want to put yours in there too.
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity