Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Judaean Collection Gallery  (Read 34835 times)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: My Judaean Collection Gallery
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2021, 09:11:56 pm »
Due to some of the changes FORVM was forced to make by the 800 pound gorilla, which changed the way images and their descriptions display, I went through my entire Judaean gallery and changed the descriptions to make identification of the ruler the first thing you see.  The attribution by Hendin number and details like weight, will now only appear when a file is selected for display.

I've also started making this same change to some of my other galleries.

Craig

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2021, 10:52:58 pm »
Yeah, I would love if at least part of the description was visible without clicking.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2021, 07:38:38 pm »
Agreed. It has made it much more difficult for me to review my gallery. I have resisted making the kinds of modifications that Craig has made, because it would be such a daunting task. Someday ... Stkp

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2021, 10:39:06 pm »
What would be nice to see is if the a second line of the descriptive text could be displayed as opposed to the number of views, which really is irrelevant and probably of interest only to the gallery owner.

Craig

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2021, 04:23:26 am »
Hi, unfortunately, in my gallery, I put originally some more information to the "headline", and the new style does not touch me dramatically...

Regards

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2021, 01:43:39 pm »
I probably should have set up my descriptions differently from the beginning, but as they originally appeared, everything was visible on the initial gallery display.

But with the change FORVM had to make, just showing the attribution information really wasn't helpful to anyone looking at the gallery.

Craig

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2021, 12:08:46 pm »
Even though it might not technically be considered a "Judaean" coin, I finally was able to add a Vespasian JUDAEA CAPTA sestertius to my collection.  I'm actually going to keep it with my "1st Century Roman Emperor" collection, but thought I'd post it here since it does have ties to Judaea.

It has a hair less detail than I had originally wanted on an example, but after having been blown out of the water (big time!) twice last month on two other pieces at auction, I figured this was good enough to console me until I can find an example with fuller details.

Craig

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2021, 07:23:18 am »
Very nice Capta.  Congrats!  At least it's not tooled.  I have added similar ones in the last few months, These have always brought a premium but it seems they have gone to another level recently.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2021, 10:44:42 am »
Thanks jay.

Yes, it's difficult to find nice original medium grade specimens.  The premium condition coins are bringing serious premiums, which is to be expected.  Unless you have the ability to personally inspect a coin first, in order to get one that has never been messed with, you almost have to accept slightly less that choice surface.

But having acquired this coin creates a slight dilemma.....now I have to find a nice As to go along with it, and then I need specimens from Titus' reign to round out the set.  It never ends !!  (But maybe that's a good thing.)

Craig

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2021, 11:05:19 am »

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2021, 01:20:41 pm »
Yes, I saw that. 

And so you're the main reason why I now need to acquire the different denominations and Emperors!!!

Craig

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2021, 11:34:21 pm »
Test post.

All the text from posts and replies since some time in 2008 are missing.  Images posted appear, but no text.

NEVER MIND.....IT MUST JUST HAVE BEEN A TEMPORARY GLITCH.  EVERYTHING IS THERE AGAIN.

Craig

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2022, 03:34:56 pm »
It's been a while since I've been able to add any new pieces, but recently I picked up three new coins.  Here is one of them.  It a half unit of Herod Antipas, date regnal year 33.

I have two more pieces that I'll be uploading in the new few days.  Both are relatively rare and desirable in that one portrays the likenesses of Herod Philip and the other of Agrippa I.

Craig

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2022, 04:58:45 pm »
Great coin Craig, can’t wait to see the other additions.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2022, 05:18:56 pm »
+1  Great coin

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2022, 05:45:12 pm »
This is the second piece I picked up recently.  It is a coin of Herod Philip, showing Philip’s portrait on one side and that of Augustus on the other.  I have seen this coin listed with Philip’s portrait as the obverse, but other times with Augustusportrait as the obverse.  This is especially common on specimens where the legends are not discernable, as on this coin. 

To try and confirm whose portrait is whose on this coin I checked out Menorah Coin Project.  This coin seems to match their OBV2 for this issue (PHI-01).  I noticed that they too almost always list the side with Philip's portrait as the obverse.  I assume this is just tradition.  I would have to think that the Emperor would not have taken too kindly to his image being relegated to the reverse of a coin.

I was able to do a quick overlay of the MCP coin with mine, and the shape of the nose on the leftmost image matches that of Augustus.  And on the MCP example, the legend CEBACTOY is readable, confirming that it is Augustus.

I welcome other’s thoughts and comments.

Craig

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2022, 06:08:55 pm »
Good detective work.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2022, 06:55:32 pm »
Thanks Jay.

It may not be the prettiest example out there but is is very rare.  I've always wanted a portrait of Philip, and now I have one.

I have one more coin to post....another portrait coin of a Jewish ruler, but it isn't of Philip.

Craig

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2022, 10:24:14 am »
This is the third piece I picked up recently.  It is a coin of Agrippa I, showing his portrait on the obverse and that of his son, Agrippa II, on the reverse, riding a horse to the right.   

Agrippa I was the grandson of Herod the Great and was the son of Aristobulus IV and Berenice.  Agrippa I is the “Herod” referenced in the book of Acts, Chapter 12.

As with the portrait piece of Herod Philip posted above, it's far from being the highest condition piece out there, but all the portrait coins of the Jewish rulers are rare.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2022, 12:33:36 pm »
Nice to get a portrait Craig.  I've been getting into Judaean coin a lot more lately, especially with the Flavian connection.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2022, 01:27:19 am »
Catching up on posting some recent purchases....

Here are two pieces from Agrippa II.  One issued under Vespasian, and the other under Titus.

Craig

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2022, 08:16:21 am »
Lovely style on these

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2022, 10:03:13 pm »
These are some top-notch acquisitions!
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2022, 12:19:18 am »
It's been quite a while since I added anything to my Judaean collection, as I've been concentrating on some other areas.  But at the recent Whitman Winter Expo in Baltimore I picked up these two pieces.  Neither is anything spectacular, but they're still fascinating to me.

The first is a coin of Herod Philip, with the bust of Augustus on the obverse and the Augusteum of Paneas on the reverse.  The coin was struck in 8/9 AD.

The second is a small bronze of Agrippa II, minted during the reign of Domitian, in 83/84 AD.

Craig

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2022, 08:40:14 am »
I like them both, I especially like architectural depictions of real places.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity