Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Magnifying glass/digital microscope noob questions  (Read 433 times)

Offline Ahpuchplayer

• Auxiliary
Magnifying glass/digital microscope noob questions
« on: May 13, 2023, 12:59:53 pm »
Hi!

Just started collecting/cleaning ancient coins and I can't decide on what magnifying glass or microscope to get, I saw some nice digital microscope that gives a good working space under but am I wasting my time buying that? If yes then what magnifying glass I should get?

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Magnifying glass/digital microscope noob questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 02:32:02 pm »
Welcome. I have both a microscope and a couple of magnifying glasses. I also find good lighting is best when using either. My magnifying glasses are just handheld ones that have been around for years and do the job. I have a microscope with two eyepieces (I know there is a name for that, but can't think of it). Mine has 10X and 20X capabilities and a moveable light and a flat white base (no holders for slides). I find myself often wishing mine had a lower magnification option, like 5-7X or something. I use the 10X almost exclusively, 20X is just too much, although others here have said they use that high a magnification at times.

Note that I use the magnifying glasses a lot more than the microscope, but the microscope can be essential for detailed cleaning. I like having both, different tools for different jobs.

Try do do a search here for microscopes. There are a few threads that are great on this topic with some specific recommendations. Mine does not connect to my computer, that is a feature that would be nice at times.

Virgil

Offline Ahpuchplayer

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 04:12:30 pm »
Thank you ill probably go for 10x too, one that  I can use my both hands would be prefered

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 04:18:49 pm »
I have a microscope with two eyepieces (I know there is a name for that, but can't think of it).

Virgil

It is called a stereo microscope.

I have one that has 30X and 40X capabilities. Both strengths are a bit much for coins.  You see only a small part of the coins at any given time, and then you see things that you never dreamed were on the beautiful flawless coin that you just bought. Most of the time I use a small hand-held magnifying glass that is 12X.

I guess the strength you need depends on what you plan to do. I can see how it would help if you are cleaning coins and need to do some delicate work.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 10:24:51 am »
It depends on what you want to do.

For cleaning, a cheap headband magnifier works quite well for a lot of things, and a stereo microscope works well for serious close up cleaning.

In terms of just admiring or studying your coins, I just like an old fashioned Sherlock Holmes-y hand magnifying glass.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

tosserberry

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 03:08:16 am »
The best lighting, in my opinion, is best when using either.  For thorough cleaning, the microscope can be absolutely necessary.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity