Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arabic? Indian? Mongol?? AE21, 3.3g.  (Read 292 times)

Offline Callicles

• Praetorian
Arabic? Indian? Mongol?? AE21, 3.3g.
« on: August 16, 2022, 02:26:15 pm »
I received a couple of coins that appear to include Arabic or Indian script amongst a lot of Greek and Roman ancients. I know nothing about them, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated! This coin measures 21mm across, appears to be bronze, and weighs 3.3g. Thanks!

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: Arabic? Indian? AE21, 3.3g.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 08:29:21 pm »
Hallo Callicles!
To my opinion, we should search your coin in the Mongol Empire.
The high reversed "S" to end a word with, is not how an Arab writes. Some Mongols did, I think. Most likely the text on the obverse is not Arabic, but another language, most likely Persian. The script on the reverse is different. It is the "kalima shahada" in copied Arabic. I believe I can recognise the word "rasul" and some x-like "al" or "la" above.
I can be wrong, but I would look out for a Khan, who was ardent muslim enough to put the kalima shahada on the reverse of his coins ::).

Offline Callicles

• Praetorian
Re: Arabic? Indian? AE21, 3.3g.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 12:39:57 pm »
Thanks so much for your post and insights! I looked through all the Mongol coins I could find and can’t seem to find a match. I’m hoping someone who is knowledgeable in the area will see your post and help move the attribution forward. Thanks again!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity