Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Abbasid Caliphate Dirham Translation/Identification  (Read 478 times)

Offline Eddie K.

• Legionary
Abbasid Caliphate Dirham Translation/Identification
« on: August 05, 2022, 05:51:18 pm »
Hello! I just got this dirham for my mom (of course she wanted an Islamic coin when I know exponentially more about roman coins xD) and I am having trouble with translating what this says, all I have figured out is that is was minted around 751-775AD and that the reigning monarch was Al-Mansur.
Can anyone please help me translate this/link me a post with a full identification? Thank you!

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: Abbasid Caliphate Dirham Translation/Identification
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 01:18:08 pm »
Zeke Y, you will agree that the Arabic script on these coins is not of the best readable type.
Underneath I have put what I could find here and there. First there is this specimen from MA Shops, an Al Mansur Dirham struck in Al Basra.
I think the Basra Dirhams obverses have one big pellet at 3 à'clock, followed by a repetition of two small, one big, two small ... (let us say "anti-clockwise" as we are handling Arabic things here). The shown specimen is silver, 2.9 gram, 25 mm, ref. Album 213.

I think the details are good comparable whit those of your own specimen,  for the year it was struck however, I am not sure it is the same.

For transcription and translation, I give you here the information given by Numista:
Obverse:
Centre: "la 'iilah iilaa allah wahdah la sharik la" = There is no God beside Allah. He has no partner.
Edge: "bismallah darab hadha aldirham bialbasrat sinah: situn wathuluthayn w miaya" = In the name of God this dirham was struck in Basra in the year: one hundred and thirty six.

Reverse:
Centre: "mohamad rasul Allah" = Mohammed is the messenger of God.
Edge: "mohamad rasul allah arsalah bialhudaa wadin alhaqi liazharat ealaa aldiyn kulih w law kurat almushrikun = mohammed is the messenger of God. He sent him with guidance and the religion of thruth, so that he could tryumph over all religion, even if the polytheists detested it."

Offline Eddie K.

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 03:32:39 pm »
Thank you so much!!!

My wasn't picky for the quality of a dirham, she was okay with a cheaper and more worn dirham just so she can have a history on her from one of her favorite cultural regions.

The translation is what i've seen on other dirhams and you just confirmed that it is that translation! I deeply appreciate this and thank you for taking the time to confirm!

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 08:14:08 am »
I read in obverse the date one hundred and seven : sabun waarbaayn w miaya

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 09:38:19 am »
The muslim date 107 AH gives us a problem here: Al Mansur was not born and the Abbasid caliphate did not exist yet, what should make our coin an Ummayad Dirham.
To me this seems unlikely ::) ...

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 01:49:04 pm »
The muslim date 107 AH gives us a problem here: Al Mansur was not born and the Abbasid caliphate did not exist yet, what should make our coin an Ummayad Dirham.
To me this seems unlikely ::) ...

Sorry. I made a mistake when copying. It should read: one hundred and forty seven (147 AH)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 02:31:47 pm »
Yes Tanit, fantastic  +++ !
I found such an "Abbasid Dirham Al Mansur Basra 147 AH" and the comparison with the coin of our topic is very convincing. Even the big pellet underneath the central text on the reverse is present!
Congratulations with your ability of deciphering dates on this kind of coins!
See below the comparison with the specimen of Traianus Coins:

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 04:27:31 am »
That's right they are the same.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity