Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Roman Imperial Coinage Trajan Volumes  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
The Roman Imperial Coinage Trajan Volumes
« on: August 04, 2022, 12:46:33 pm »
Hello again everybody. I have been looking for a good book on the coinage of Trajan, but I have not found any at all. I know that Spink was meant to release The Roman Imperial Coinage volume of Trajan written by Woytek soon, but isn't there an earlier version of that book somewhere that I could look at or buy? The lack of books on the coinage of Trajan is saddening to me since he is such a important and well loved emperor during the height of the Roman Empire. If any of you have better knowledge on the upcoming new addition to the Roman Imperial Coinage book series or of any books regarding the Coinage of Trajan in general that would be great. Thank you all and have a wonderful rest of your week.

Online Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: The Roman Imperial Coinage Trajan Volumes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 01:03:28 pm »

Woytek, B. "Die Reichsprägung des kaisers Traianus (98-117)". MIR 14. (Vienna, 2010).

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Woytek

Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 01:12:28 pm »
Awesome. Thank you for this good recommendation. I know that there is supposed to be an updated version made by Woytek in the future for the Spink series if I am correct, but I don't know when it will be released (hopefully soon). I did just find this coins book about Trajan that seems to be really interesting. Most of the series of these books are in Italian, but the one on Trajan is translated to English. I just bought them from an Italian book company alongside the other books in the series on Hadrian's coinage, Octavian Triumvirate, and Augustus Principate. The book series is written by Danielle Leone and it's a super interesting series. I would recommend it to anybody who know Italian or is willing to translate it as I am doing. I currently have the Augustus Principate coin book in hand when I went to Rome this past summer and it has stunning color visuals of the coins and even a fold out map of the Julio-Claudian dynasty in the back. Here is a picture of the Trajan coin book. I hope it will turn out to be a fun book once I get it in the mail. I believe there is other books in the series on Nero in English and one on Septimius Severus' coinage as well. The next upcoming book looks like it will be the coins of Marcus Aurelius. Thank you and have a great day.

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 03:33:13 pm »
If you are looking for a popular book describing the historical background of Trajan's coinage, maybe one day an English version of mine will be published :-) ("Empire in full splendor. Trajan's coinage as a chronicle of his rule"; I have no such plans yet, the last Polish edition from 2017 has 420 pages).

It is the seventh of ten books describing the Roman coinage from the fall of the Republic to the death of Marcus Aurelius in the form of a story.

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 03:48:00 pm »
Awesome book. Where would I be able to buy it? I mean the books I bought that I showed a picture of above are all mainly in Italian except for the Trajan and Nero issues, but I still bought them. I may not speak Polish, but I can certainly try and translate it or just use the book as reference. Thank you for showing me this book; it sounds interesting. I love any type of book that focuses on the coinage of Trajan since that is my area of expertise and collecting. I hope you have a great evening.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 04:19:47 pm »
Yes, Woytek is still working on the updated Spink RIC volumes but unclear when it will come out.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 04:28:53 pm »
Quote from: Trajanus on August 04, 2022, 03:48:00 pm
Awesome book. Where would I be able to buy it?
At the moment, I have one official intermediary - the Academic Bookshop in Krakow: https://akademicka.com.pl/index.php?co=Zawora&a=2&szukaj=1&gdzie=111111

Their page is not the best, so if a cover doesn't load or they show that they don't have a book in stock, it's best to contact them directly via the contact form: https://akademicka.com.pl/index.php?tekst=en_kontakt&a=2

Even when they actually sold out all the copies, I have more at home and I can bring them at any time.

I love any type of book that focuses on the coinage of Trajan since that is my area of expertise and collecting.
Even if you understand a lot from a book in Polish, you may need a list of books that I used to write (it is at the end of the book).

I hope you have a great evening.
And to you too :-) Even if it's already a deep night in Poland :-)

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 04:34:58 pm »
Yes, Woytek is still working on the updated Spink RIC volumes but unclear when it will come out.

We have had this message for fifteen years ... I wrote several times to Woytek, the last time in 2019 or 2020 and he wrote back to me as usual that he had everything ready and RIC II.2 would be released soon.

It seems to me that we will see earlier the MIR volume on Nerva coinage by Woytek than RIC II.2.

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 04:42:56 pm »
That is sad that it is taking this long to get done, but at least it will be more accurate and refined the longer it takes to get done, so it's a win and a lose at the same time. Also you can actually write to him? I never thought about doing that since I know he is a very famous and prominent Classical numismatist. He is the forefront expert of Trajan's coinage and I hope to focus most of my research into his specific coinage in my career. I might write to him if that's possible. How would I go about doing that? Thank you all. 

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 12:42:50 am »
Quote from: Victor C on August 04, 2022, 01:03:28 pm

Woytek, B. "Die Reichsprägung des kaisers Traianus (98-117)". MIR 14. (Vienna, 2010).

Hey, does anybody have own this book and if so where did you buy and for how much? I am trying to specialize in studying as well as collecting coinage of Trajan and would love to have this book on hand or research purposes. Thank you.

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 12:16:48 pm »
Quote from: Trajanus on August 05, 2022, 12:42:50 am
Hey, does anybody have own this book and if so where did you buy and for how much? I am trying to specialize in studying as well as collecting coinage of Trajan and would love to have this book on hand or research purposes. Thank you.

The easiest way from the publisher website (Austrian Academy of Science):
https://verlag.oeaw.ac.at/en/product/die-reichspraegung-des-kaisers-traianus-98-117/601551

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 12:22:18 pm »
Quote from: Trajanus on August 04, 2022, 04:42:56 pm
I might write to him if that's possible. How would I go about doing that?
You have his e-mail on the site:
https://www.oeaw.ac.at/oeai/institut/team/person/bernhard-woytek

He is very open to people from outside the academic environment, so I think he will answer..

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 12:45:12 pm »
Awesome. Thank you all. Do you all by chance have that book Die Reichsprägung des kaisers Traianus by Woytek? I will certainlly write to him very soon. Thank you for the help all of you.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 08:55:24 am »
I have the Woytek book.  I bought it right from the Austrian Academy of Sciences bookshop when I lived in Vienna.

The book is great (actually books as there are two volumes), but as someone who can barely speak German I can't get the full value - I can only use the catalogue information, which is valuable enough, but sadly not all the essays and more detailed info.

One problem with the RIC updates is that no one is working on them full time - these are all people who have day jobs and other commitments.  It is too bad that there weren't full-time researches dedicated to this but that is the reality.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 09:03:03 am »
Shawn,  I’m not sure if you’ve tried it recently but the photo option on the Google translate app has improved greatly over the years, and I use it all the time.  If you have some knowledge of the original language it is really great because you can quickly translate the few words you don’t understand.  But even if you don’t know the original language at all it can usually provide the gist of it.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 09:31:08 am »
You are absolutely right. 

I have not tried it on the Woytek book, but I am sure its ability with German is quite good.  I have used it for Russian recently and the results are great.

I tried it on some Japanese and Chinese books on cash coins several months ago and the results were mixed - not good overall.  More complicated writing systems plus I don't think their algorithms had much exposure to numismatic material yet...

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Trajanus

• Praetorian
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 04:19:44 pm »
Yes, I just got that one book called Le Monete di Roma: Augusto, Il Principato book series by Daniele Leoni when I was in Rome and it's all in Italia and the translate app worked wonders for me. I would recommend look into these book series as they are quite cool to read with full color images of the coins as well. It explains a lot more of the history behind the coins rather than cataloging them. I'll link a spot to the books below if you are interested. Thank You!

https://dielleditore.com/shop/collane/monete-roma/augusto-il-principato/

Offline Yuriy D2

• Legionary
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2023, 09:54:47 pm »
Hi friends!
I hope someone has news from Bernhard Woytek about the English version of his book?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2023, 11:15:22 pm »
Quote from: Trajanus on August 05, 2022, 12:42:50 am
Quote from: Victor C on August 04, 2022, 01:03:28 pm

It is the best, and for me, the primary, reference for Trajan's imperial coinage.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2023, 02:31:35 am »
Hi friends!
I hope someone has news from Bernhard Woytek about the English version of his book?
It's hard to say whether RIC II.2 will ever be released. I think we'll get the MIR version of Nerva in German sooner:

https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/oeai/research/classical-studies/numismatics/moneta-imperii-romani-nerva

Offline Yuriy D2

• Legionary
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2023, 11:53:21 pm »
Hi friends!
It's hard to say whether RIC II.2 will ever be released. I think we'll get the MIR version of Nerva in German sooner:

https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/oeai/research/classical-studies/numismatics/moneta-imperii-romani-nerva

Thanks a lot!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity