Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to store my small collection  (Read 532 times)

Offline Justin L1

• Praetorian
How to store my small collection
« on: November 10, 2023, 02:05:46 pm »
Hello-

I apologize if this is a double post-but I think my first one didn't work:) So I have slowly collected a small grouping of imperial denari (see pics). Apart from deciding how to focus my collection-my main question is how to safely store the coins-from a security standpoint. Currently they are kept in archival slips, in an archival box and locked up-but I don't get to enjoy the coins this way. As the number and value of a collection grows what are you all doing? Do I just ensure the coins are insured and keep them out to enjoy? Or is it best to keep secure and enjoy on occasion? I know this is a personal opinion and depends on risk tolerance but would be curious what others are doing-I also thank you in advance for what is likely a very redundant topic.

Kindly,

Justin

Offline Justin L1

• Praetorian
Re: How to store my small collection
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 02:08:01 pm »

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 04:11:15 pm »
That’s a very beautiful collection! You have good taste and I like your approach of quality not quantity. I think the Nero in particular is stunning.

I keep my collection at home in a small mahogany coin cabinet. If I go on holiday, I find it easy to hide the box so that if there were a break-in, it would be unlucky if found. I know others (with far more valuable collections than mine) keep theirs full time at the bank or a similar security deposit facility.

Did you know Forvm has a gallery section? You could add your coins and descriptions to the searchable gallery, that way they are always at your fingertips online regardless of whether you decide to keep them at home or somewhere else. You can create your own gallery simply by going to ‘members gallery’ in the discussion section - you have to be logged in to add a coin. I think your coins would be a very welcome addition to the gallery, and decent photos and descriptions would also help anyone else looking into the types.

Offline Ben C4

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 10:25:31 pm »
Those are some beautiful coins- thanks for sharing! I'm very new to the collecting scene, and I'm sure some would consider this to be reckless, but I never wanted my coins to be hidden away. So, humble as it is, I have my collection of emperors and provincials out for all to see.

Offline Ben C4

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 10:30:28 pm »
Here's the rest- a few silver provincial from Antioch, Caesara Maritime, and Alexandria, a judaea capta, an eighth shekel from the Jewish revolt, and a few other interesting provincial spots

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 04:10:29 am »
@ Justin L1 - Congratulations! Very nice pieces.
@ Ben C4 - It is the first time I see this kind of presentation. What does the backside look like? And what is on the label?

Offline Ben C4

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 07:34:44 am »
@ Justin L1 - Congratulations! Very nice pieces.
@ Ben C - It is the first time I see this kind of presentation. What does the backside look like? And what is on the label?

@Jan P - Here is a picture of the back. I just printed small adhesive labels with any information I had on the coin. The cases are magnetic acrylic slabs, so it's easy to access the coins if I need to. The foam was actually the hardest part.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 08:53:29 am »
Congratulations Ben C4! Very nice work, obviously done with a lot of love +++.

Offline Justin L1

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 04:37:04 pm »
Good morning! Thank you every one for the input and sharing! I like the idea of the virtual gallery so will try and put that together when I have time! Also those coin display cases are very cool and you also have beautiful coins!

Kindly,

Justin

Offline Ben C4

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 06:50:08 pm »
Whenever you decide on a solution for displaying your collection, I'd love to see a picture of the result!

Offline Yuriy D2

• Legionary
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2023, 11:51:45 pm »
Hi Justin! Nice coins.
Like idea this presentation case for 60 QUADRUM coin capsules

https://www.lighthousecanada.ca/presentation-case-for-60-quadrum-coin-capsules-black-3-trays.html

i think very cool for small but nice collections.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 01:05:10 pm »
Ben C4, I like those presentation cases, never seen that before. To OP, I think storage/display depends on the value of your coins. My collection is not very valuable, the most expensive coin was probably $250.00 and the vast majority are worth not much. I keep them in trays in cases made for coins at home and that I can pull out anytime and enjoy them. For very valuable coins, I would be far more concerned about security.

Virgil

Offline Justin L1

• Praetorian
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 03:37:42 pm »
Hello All-

Thanks again for the good ideas! Yuriy D2-I like the case you presented with the capsules and the ideas that have been presented. I opted for a similar but maybe more classic option with an Abafil Diplomat case with green velvet trays. Perhaps a bit more space than I need at this point but gives me lots of room to expand. It's tricky as I want the coins to be out for display but I think this will offer the best amount of security, transportability, and accessibility for right now. Ben C4- I will post a picture of them in the trays when it arrives. And Yes Virgil-cost aside I think my emotional investment in selecting individual coins warrants their protection in mind;)

Thanks,

Justin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity