Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: In the Treasure Room of the Sakra King: Votive Coinage from Gandhāran Shrines  (Read 380 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Just got an email from ANS about this newly published book,In the Treasure Room of the Sakra King: Votive Coinage from Gandhāran Shrines. The price is way above my price range (the ANS discount helps, but not that much), but covers some coins that I have great interest in. Has anyone actually seen it? I would love some first hand impressions before I pull the plug on a book like this, especially since there are other books I would also like to have. But, it covers some areas I am super interested in.

An excerpt from the book literature:

This book examines the native Sakra copper coinage issued from circa 550 to 1100, corresponding to the Nezak, Turk Shahi, Hindu Shahi, and Ghaznavid dynasties.

I need to be talked into buying this one. LOL.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
So, I found a video by the author doing a seminar in Dec 2021 that discusses the book, but is an excellent overview of his research and how these coins informed his studies. Super interesting even if you aren't interested in this area of late antiquity. I am getting the book for sure after seeing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQuckJHizGA

Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
So, to further this topic, I ordered the book and it has not arrived, but that is fine, it will get here. I was going to suggest this to the ANS, but they are way ahead of me. That makes sense as they published the book. On Friday, the members only Long Table is as follows:

Long Table 105
In the Treasure Room of the Sakra King
Friday, August 12
1:00 pm ET

I assume this will be much like that UNC video I posted earlier and that is OK because that was so good. Super interesting from so many levels, including numismatics, but also historical, and religious, etc.

If you are an ANS member, you will have received an email about it. I think this one is going to be good. If you have never attended one of these ANS Long Tables, I highly recommend them, most are very interesting even if it is outside your area and you can ask questions, etc. They are also now available after the fact on Youtube, I think, something that's relatively new.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity