Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: how to store my denarius and Roman Coins  (Read 3729 times)

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
how to store my denarius and Roman Coins
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:21:58 pm »
I am looking to display my coins and I want to use a capsule or a 2X2 plastic snap  holder. I mostly have denarius but some others.

Should I use a penny, nickel, or dime holder - none of which are exact. Is it better to go smaller or larger? - Provided that there is a foam insert in the capsule.

Does anyone know if there is an adjustable one?

Thanks for the advice ???

Offline traveler

• Consul
Re: how to store my denarius and Roman Coins
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 08:23:51 pm »
Hello paps,

Capsules are not a good idea for denarii (I can't speak for other coin types). The diameter and relief of denarii varies and so a capsule might fit one denarius but not another.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 04:05:04 am »
No coin deserves life-long emprisonment in a piece of plastic!
Buy a cassette to display your items and handle them from time to time, just to enjoy.

Frans

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 07:09:57 am »
I am looking to display my coins and I want to use a capsule or a 2X2 plastic snap  holder. I mostly have denarius but some others.

Should I use a penny, nickel, or dime holder - none of which are exact. Is it better to go smaller or larger? - Provided that there is a foam insert in the capsule.

Does anyone know if there is an adjustable one?

Thanks for the advice ???

The best you can use trays like this they have different size...

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 07:19:09 am »
Yes, that's the 'BEBA' system; not cheap but indestructable. Varying on the drawers you choose, between 500 and 1000 coins can be displayed.

Frans

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 07:20:27 am »
Yes, that's the 'BEBA' system; not cheap but indestructable. Varying on the drawers you choose, between 500 and 1000 coins can be displayed.

Frans

I agree.....  :) ;) +++
 Q.
My Gallery

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:26:00 am »
The BEBA system is also my choice of display cabinet and includes the red felt inlays.  +++

Arados

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:32:38 am »
I am really don't want to encase them, that's why I'm using a snap. My main concern is tarnishing. Will they tarnish if I put them in a case?

I am using the one below.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 09:00:14 am »
tarnishing
That can only happen with brand new or strip-cleaned coins. 99.99% of ancient coins have a 'patina' a thin layer of oxide which will protect the coin. In the 70's we used to have plastic albums which emitted so much plasticiser, that all coins got sticky and tended to get a dirty layer of....
Not all wood cabinets are really safe for the reason that some woods, like oak, contain and emit tannines which can 'tan' your coins. Most collectors prefer a patinated /coloured coin to a clean and shiny one, especially if they are ancients.

Frans

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 09:08:05 am »
Frans, I started a new post about this. I just don't know if I should still use flip or capsule if I'm putting in a case. I'd rather not.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 09:29:04 am »
This is how I keep my coins (part of Pius denarii)

Frans

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 09:55:26 am »
Love it! - i guess it goes without saying - acid free paper.

i am NOT going with holders - I have to hold the history!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 03:29:31 pm »
I use Abafils but any small coin, 16mm or less, also gets a capsule within the Abafil slot. This is to avoid tiny coins getting lost or shifting compartment. It's physical and loss protection. Since the lighthouse capsules pop open I still get to handle my silver sestertii and suchlike.

Offline blazeaglory

• Legionary
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 09:24:59 am »
I recently started collecting ancients about 6 months ago when I found a Ptolemaic coin in my local coin dealers "random box" for 45$... since then I can't help but look for the next beauty! BUT coins that I plan on re-selling I try to have graded and encapsulated. It just gets a bigger profit. Sadly ppl nowadays feel the need to have to have everything "verified" or protected. I even see  yo MTV RAPS cards graded and encapsulated... lol Price tags of 1500$. Back in the day I would buy 20 boxes of those cards for. 99 cents each box. But anyways...

The coins I plan on keeping I now keep in acid free little envelopes. I'll write all the info on the outside of the envelope and on the other side I'll write the date I found it, how much I paid for it and the date I "sealed" the envelope. When I get a hankering for coin touchy I gently slice open the top of the envelope and slide the coin out. Then I get to start all over again with a new envelope!

But honestly im saving$ for a cabinet with lined drawers as above. That way when the urge hits, I can just open a drawer. Although having slabs prevents one from getting busy with the coin, on the other hand, they feel like a weird futuristic form of currency when I hold a bunch of them at once. Like really thick baseball cards or something. But sometimes I'll think I here the image on the coin screaming for air so at that point I'll put it on sale and hope someone buys it. I can't have Tiberius crying about oxygen when guests are over or im in the middle of a good book or something lol

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 04:31:11 pm »
I have purchsed two coin cabinets by Craig. He posts here a bit and is a pleasure to communicate with, he can custom build for you as well. https://www.cabinetsbycraig.net

I like them as they have a nice presentation when company expresses a interest in history or coins which can happen in my house....

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 04:41:02 pm »
Nice :) +++

Joe/Q.
My Gallery

Online Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2023, 05:36:50 pm »
Those cabinets are super nice, Wileyc.