Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: completely at lost with this islamic(?) coin!  (Read 588 times)

Offline palves

• Consul
completely at lost with this islamic(?) coin!
« on: June 03, 2022, 06:05:30 am »
I dont even know where to start!!
25mm and 5.48g

Thanks in advance!

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: completely at lost with this islamic(?) coin!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 08:56:44 am »
To my opinion this is a Timurid coin.
I 'll look it up as soon as I find the time, later on today ;).

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 10:31:08 am »
The reverse gives us not too much information:
The islamic kalima is on it, in such a way that it is to read anticlockwise. See pictures here below.
Rulers' name, mint and year should be on the obverse. The countermark can possibly make changes in these.
If the coin is not Timurid, it it certainly from one of the Mongol empires, in accordance to its style.
It is not so easy to trace coins of this origin, but I note here that "RASUL" is turned outwards and this might be a point of identification.
See the pictures:

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 12:39:13 pm »
The countermark is found: it is a Timurid specimen of Sultan Abu Said (Mirza). It says:"Host Sultan Abu Said Gurkan" and on the right coin it is struck on a Tanka of Sharukh (855-873 AH).
On our coin the readable part is here in capitals: " ... suLTAN abu saID guRKAN"(bottom to top). See below:

Offline palves

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 01:01:49 pm »
The countermark is found: it is a Timurid specimen of Sultan Abu Said. It says:"Host Abu Said Gurkan" and on the right coin it is struck on a Tanka of Sharukh (855-873 AH).
On our coin the readable part is here in capitals: " ... suLTAN abu saID guRKAN"(down to top). See below:

Thank you so much for your help. I would never get this one right!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity