Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Woman buys ancient Roman bust at Goodwill for 34 bucks  (Read 582 times)

Offline David Fischer

• Praetorian
Woman buys ancient Roman bust at Goodwill for 34 bucks
« on: May 06, 2022, 09:59:58 am »
This story has been making the rounds lately:

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2022/05/04/roman-bust-germany-goodwill-store-texas-restitution

It seems that the bust was looted by an allied soldier in Germany during WWII, and brought back to the US. It was probably donated to Goodwill when he died. I found this story especially interesting because I used to work for Goodwill in their online auctions department. We would comb through all of the donations that came in looking for antiques, jewelry, art, and other valuables that could fetch a higher price online. I can attest to the fact that when WWII veterans die, their families often take all of their belongings and dump them at Goodwill without a second thought. I found so many Third Reich artifacts, beautiful pieces of jewelry, original artwork, guns, etc., that clearly came from a recently deceased veteran's estate and it always blew my mind that people would toss that stuff out so cavalierly.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity