Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 2 Questions - 1 on naming and 1 on polishing  (Read 750 times)

Offline Eddie K.

• Legionary
2 Questions - 1 on naming and 1 on polishing
« on: February 26, 2022, 11:15:50 pm »
Hi! I'm getting closer to the end of cleaning my first coin. My coin is a Julia Mamaea bronze coin from Nicaea during the reign of Severus Alexander. The spelling on my coin is IOVLIAMAMAIAAVG and it is a bust of her facing to the right. While the back has 3 wreathes on top of 3 solid dots in the middle and beneath the dots are NI-KA-IE-I(?)N. How exactly would I term the coin, for example one of the first roman republic coins on the shop is called "RP97564. Bronze AE 18, RPC I 1648 (11 spec.); AMNG III, p. 192, 12 & pl. XX, 13; Grant FITA 274; SNG Cop -; BMC Macedonia... (the rest is just describing the coin which I already mostly understand). How would I reference my own coin myself like that?
Second of all, is there a special type of wax/polish that I can use to polish my bronze (maybe even potential silver) coin that anyone would recommend?
Thank you for reading this and if you need a picture of the coin (with my horrendous cleaning skills) feel free to ask and any other questions about my hilariously uneducated coin knowledge question!

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: 2 Questions - 1 on naming and 1 on polishing
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 01:48:20 am »

Sounds like RPC VI 3149: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/3149

Pekka K

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 08:20:23 am »
Polishing: numismatists use Renaissance Wax, known in the trade as Renwax. It's available in two sizes. I ordered the smaller, and I will never use it all.
See the discussion here.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Eddie K.

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 09:37:57 pm »
Sorry for the late response! Thank you both of you for the information, I will definitely be buying some Renaissance on my future coins. I may or may not have scratched the heck out of my first coin thinking I was scrapping at dirt, but in reality was scrapping at bronze. Will the Renaissance wax cover up my scratches or should I chemically remove the patina. I only ask that because I saw a post recently of someone who chemically removed their patina as a last resort due to how corroded it was, and it was given some good praise! I understand anything involving the removal of the patina is seen as a cardinal sin here so I'm just wondering if that is a viable option.

Also, while the RPC VI 3149 reverse is the same exact design as my coin, the obverse has slight variations such as instead of NI-K-AI-E   :Greek_Omega: N mine is NI-KA-IE-IN. Does that significantly matter or is it safe to call my coin the RPC VI 3149 (I don't plan on selling at all).

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 08:51:17 am »
FORVM sells Renaissance wax here.

It will do nothing to help with or hide scratches.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity