Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC VII ROME 300 Co jest na rewersie?  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: RIC VII ROME 300 Co jest na rewersie?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 08:02:03 am »
Perhaps the common theme with a genius on rocks is a rocky water's edge? The island of Britain in the case of Britannia ?

Rocks would also fit in with a water theme with Nilus, although he can be depicted leaning on a variety of things such as these with a Hippo and Sphinx.

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2021, 03:32:50 am »
Perhaps the common theme with a genius on rocks is a rocky water's edge? The island of Britain in the case of Britannia ?

Although the figures sitting on the rocks very often have something to do with water (we also have connections such as the stream flowing from the rocks on the Septimus Severus denar - in the left corner under the goddess riding a lion), it cannot be considered as a rule.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8665185

For example, we can try to explain the images of Dacia or Spain by their location on the Danube / Mediterranean Sea, but they are almost certainly alluded to their rocky landscape.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7929323

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=150347

The wet Genius of the Danube lies as we would expect on the rocks, but the quite similar Genius of Via Traiana reminds us of the dry areas of southern Italy, through which the new road runs.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8500623

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7994369

What's more interesting, we also have river Geniuses without rocks - like the one from Hadrian's native Gades (and yet the personification of the entire province already had rocks, as seen above).

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2461665

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2021, 08:00:57 am »
That's an interesting assembly of coins, and commentary.

So, if there were any rules/traditions, it seems it has to be broader than a rocky shore. My second guess would be perhaps that the rocks might represent "terra firma", or a general allusion to the land, as would be appropriate to one of these provincial personifications. If that was the general idea, then it's still not obvious what was intended by a river god leaning on rocks - was this essentially the same, or more literally meant to depict the rocky river bed/bank?

In any case, the figure on the medallion certainly seems to be sitting on something, ankles crossed. The whole scene seems quite unusual and specific, and it's hard to imagine it was expected to be interpreted without any external reference. I assume it is depicting some well known statue, or possibly ceremony, from the city of Rome. Presumably there is some connection between the scene and the "Secvritas Romae" legend, although no guarantee.

I'm not even sure how much a better specimen of the medallion would help... It might make it a bit clearer what is being depicted, but I think we'd still be missing the cultural reference.

I'm sorry for posting in English, but I don't know Polish, and don't trust Google translate unless it is very simple.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2021, 08:27:50 am »
I assume it is depicting some well known statue, or possibly ceremony, from the city of Rome.

A kind of ceremony is my first guess. These torches mean something.

I'm not even sure how much a better specimen of the medallion would help... It might make it a bit clearer what is being depicted, but I think we'd still be missing the cultural reference.

It's possible but now we are stuck on the very first level: we only know for sure that there is a big figure with long sceptre (reversed spear?) and some smaller figures with at least two torches. Everything else we must assume: identity of this big figure, even her/his sex, her/his real pose etc. etc.

I'm sorry for posting in English

It's OK. There is nothing to be sorry as long as posts are interesting.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2021, 04:42:52 am »
My second guess would be perhaps that the rocks might represent "terra firma", or a general allusion to the land, as would be appropriate to one of these provincial personifications.

It may be so, especially since it is hard to imagine another simple and legible symbol of land. The symbolism of Roman coins is simple and shortened, so it is not possible to show whole landscapes, which can be found on 17th-century thalers.

was this essentially the same, or more literally meant to depict the rocky river bed/bank?
I think so, especially since the Mediterranean is full of rocky shores.

I assume it is depicting some well known statue, or possibly ceremony, from the city of Rome.

If I were to bet, I would also bet on the ceremony, not the statue. Perhaps it is something like a scene commemorating some celebration. We have something similar, but less static, on Domitian's coins showing Ludi Saeculares - several different figures in different poses, such as something like this:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5682697

We could also follow two torches that often show up in the Ceres underground/fertility cults, although this could be completely wrong.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8444689

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 12:11:43 pm »
The cast may show a scene with a central figure of  Vrbs Romae seated facing (holding a scepter) with on the left side a woman and a child getting in the place (head turning right ?), both holding a torch up and on the right a woman and a child without any torch leaving the place (head of the woman  turned right ?). So it could be an opposition between night and day. When reported to SECVRITAS it could be a reference to a real improvement of public order in the city or if taken as a symbolic scene something recalling the REDDITOR LUCIS AETERNAE moto present on the Constantius medaillon.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 09:09:03 am »
Quote from: AMICTUS on November 26, 2021, 12:11:43 pm
So it could be an opposition between night and day.

Interesting interpretation. But, unfortunately, "a central figure of  Vrbs Romae" still remains only an assumption.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Jack@

• Consul
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2022, 12:43:46 pm »
Dodam jeszcze taką swobodną analogię. Źródło: https://artgallery.yale.edu/collections/objects/125866

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2022, 03:44:13 pm »
taką swobodną analogię.

To jednak zdecydowanie inna impreza. Są konie, nie ma pochodni etc. Rzymianie umieli się bawić na wiele różnych sposobów.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Jack@

• Consul
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2022, 09:34:47 am »
A propos samego tytułowego medalionu. Pochodnie... Czyli akcja na rewersie rozgrywa się w nocy. Czy coś takiego działo się niespokojnego w tamtym czasie w Rzymie, że ktoś pod osłoną nocy musiał być ewakuowany (chroniony), a było to tak istotne, że dano aż temu wyraz (metaforyczny, propagandowy, upamiętniający) na przedmiotowym numizmacie?
Takie myśli mnie naszły, nieuczesane :)

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2022, 03:46:52 pm »
ktoś pod osłoną nocy musiał być ewakuowany (chroniony)

Ewakuacja pod osłoną nocy to raczej mało chwalebne wydarzenie, więc czy zasługiwałoby na upamiętnienie na medalionie? Świadczy też przeciwko takiemu dramatycznemu wydarzeniu dostojna poza centralnej postaci oraz legendy. Chodzi więc najprawdopodobniej o coś w rodzaju procesji religijnej, co jednak niewiele mówi, bo wtedy przecież wszystkie sprawy publiczne mają wymiar religijny.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2022, 05:58:56 am »
Pochodnie... Czyli akcja na rewersie rozgrywa się w nocy. Czy coś takiego działo się niespokojnego w tamtym czasie w Rzymie, że ktoś pod osłoną nocy musiał być ewakuowany (chroniony), a było to tak istotne, że dano aż temu wyraz (metaforyczny, propagandowy, upamiętniający) na przedmiotowym numizmacie?
Też byłbym za nocną uroczystością. Jesteśmy tak przyzwyczajeni do dobrze oświetlonych ulic, że bardzo ciężko nam wyobrazić sobie antyczne miasta nocą. Mało kogo było stać na stałe oświetlenie własnego domostwa, miejskie mogło być co najwyżej przy kluczowych punktach w centrum, a do oświetlania nocnych wędrówek używano małych, ręcznych lampek oliwnych. Stąd nocne, dobrze oświetlone oficjalne uroczystości miały w sobie powab, który był wart zapamiętania.

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2022, 03:01:01 am »
Tak się jeszcze bardzo luźno zastanawiam, czy jest możliwość, by główna postać przed toolingiem jechała na koniu?

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1482261

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2022, 07:25:04 am »
czy jest możliwość, by główna postać przed toolingiem jechała na koniu?

Aż taki potworny ten tooling nie jest. Tam zresztą chyba najwięcej niepewności powodują naturalne ubytki (głowa centralnej postaci).
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2022, 08:19:39 am »
Tak się jeszcze bardzo luźno zastanawiam, czy jest możliwość, by główna postać przed toolingiem jechała na koniu?

Remember this is the same scene we see on a variant of RIC VI Rome 208 (Conserv Vrb Svae).

From Drost:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity