Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Books for me -- Barrington Atlas, RBW Collection, and more  (Read 5161 times)

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
New Books for me -- Barrington Atlas, RBW Collection, and more
« on: February 13, 2019, 09:38:52 pm »
February isn't half over, but it is numismatically going extremely well for me.  The books are stacking up:

The Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World -- a giant book, not easy to find, pre-loved, but only the dust jacket needs repair. (And is about 32 by 48 cms!)

New, and not any easier to lug home:

The RBW Collection, from the sale catalogs, consolidated by NAC with additional notes, including from Andrew McCabe.
Fides, the ANS festschrift for RBW (also with McCabe article) (and 500 pgs+)

And, the current AJN has arrived!

Not only that, I have a few great books from Forum that are soon to arrive.  I am not sure I want an early Spring!
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: New Books for me -- Barrington Atlas, RBW Collection, and more
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 09:43:17 pm »
Great pick ups!  I've been looking for an affordable Barrington's for a long time.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:55:25 pm »
Thank you, Jay.  It took a great deal of patience and a bit of bargaining to get to "affordable".  I actually picked up the 2 volume companion directory/notes sooner than the Atlas itself.  I think a large portion of a bottom shelf will become home to the atlas; too dangerous to have above one's head

I will post some notes in a few weeks as I get more familiar with it.

Paul 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 10:09:17 pm »
Wonderful books PMah!  I don't yet have the Barrington Atlas in my library.  It's perpetually on my book want list.  Alas, it's expensive and oversized. Neither my wallet nor bookshelf have room.

Offline Equity

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:40:24 pm »
The iPad version of the Barrington atlas, modulo a few minor bugs, was quite usable in my experience. It cost about 20 USD a few years ago.
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:32:36 pm »
If only it came with a free IPad!

Paul 

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 06:46:53 am »
The Barrington Atlas is outstanding—nice pick up.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 12:23:59 pm »
I bought a non-cheap Barrington several years ago.  Can't say I have yet to get my money's worth in terms of real use - but I have more than made up for that in sheer pleasure.  Just browsing through it, looking at routes and regions and imagining that world....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 06:48:43 pm »
I bought a non-cheap Barrington several years ago.  Can't say I have yet to get my money's worth in terms of real use - but I have more than made up for that in sheer pleasure.  Just browsing through it, looking at routes and regions and imagining that world....

SC

This is exactly my situation with the Atlas. Purchased mine at a Borders Books many years ago (full price!) and now only use it occasionally, but gosh it's a pleasure when I do!

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:48:39 pm »
Sheer pleasure! An investment in precision and accuracy,  which do not always go together!

Paul 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 08:30:16 pm »
To update my earlier post

February isn't half over, but it is numismatically going extremely well for me.  The books are stacking up:

Not only that, I have a few great books from Forum that are soon to arrive.  I am not sure I want an early Spring!

My Forum books arrived today !  Let me praise a bit before the reveal:  Forum ships in new boxes, solidly packed.  In this photo, the books are each separately wrapped and sealed. Essays... Hersh is basically shrink-wrapped.  They are in pristine condition.    PLUS -- and this is a big plus depending on where you live -- Forum goes through the effort of sending books by Media Mail/Book Rate, which is well under 75% of most forms of shipping today.  That essentially saves the cost of a book with each shipment.

(Full disclosure -- I have coins consigned to Forum, so I am focusing today only on books recently purchased from Forum)

Paul 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 08:32:55 pm »
And, now the “reveal”, in chronological order:

T.V. Buttrey, Jr., “The Triumviral Portrait Gold of the Quattuorviri Monetales of 42 B.C.”, ANS Numismatic Notes No. 137 (1956)

ANS, Museum Notes No. 21 (1976), incl. T.V. Buttrey, The Denarii of P. Crepusius and Roman Republican Mint Organization, and C.A. Hersh, A Tri-Denominational Hoard of Early Roman Silver Coins from Sicily, among other good things.

ANS, Museum Notes No. 29 (1984), incl. Hersh & Walker , The Mesagne Hoard, , again amid other fine articles.

And, not least,

Coins of Macedonia and Rome, Essays in Honour of Charles Hersh, Burnett, Wartenberg and Witschonke, eds. (Spink 1998), which has so many good things I may just have to keep wrapping and unwrapping it.  

Even though ANS has uploaded many of its publications, it is still great fun to have key writings on topics of core interest directly in hand, especially at very reasonable prices.

Paul 

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 04:09:56 pm »
It's running on close to one year since your last post in this thread, PMah.  I'm sure you've found some goodies.

I'm just about to hit my one year anniversary since joining the Forvm, and I will tell you I've learned a lot in that year, particularly about references.  References that were once mysterious are now sitting on my shelves or inhabiting my computer.  Others are now on my want list.  Case in point: Your comments in this thread have led me to yearn for the Barrington Atlas. I've always liked cartography, so this one really ticks my boxes. 

My most recent literature acquisitions include:

1. The Gulbenkian Collection (not yet in hand).  Robinson, Hipolito & Jenkins. A Catalogue of the Calouste Gulbenkian Collection of Greek Coins, two parts in four volumes.   
2. RIC II.3.  The new revised edition of the venerable Roman series.
3. Roman Silver Coins.  Vols. I-V.  Another classic.
4. A Dictionary of Ancient Greek Coins and A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins, both by John Melville Jones.

Anaximander

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 04:14:02 pm »
Your bookshelf will be great... ;) :) +++

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2020, 05:37:44 pm »
Very nice additions,  Anaximander!   I am glad you picked up this thread!   I am on vacation in a place 45 deg F warmer than my usual NYC February abode, but I may be home just in timeto update my book postings for a 1 year anniversary  of this thread.
  I am happy to say that -- most of the time -- I make good use of my acquisitions of numismatic literature.
Happy hunting!

Paul 

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 07:37:46 pm »
It's running on close to one year since your last post in this thread, PMah.  I'm sure you've found some goodies.

I'm just about to hit my one year anniversary since joining the Forvm, and I will tell you I've learned a lot in that year, particularly about references.  References that were once mysterious are now sitting on my shelves or inhabiting my computer.  Others are now on my want list.  Case in point: Your comments in this thread have led me to yearn for the Barrington Atlas. I've always liked cartography, so this one really ticks my boxes. 

My most recent literature acquisitions include:

1. The Gulbenkian Collection (not yet in hand).  Robinson, Hipolito & Jenkins. A Catalogue of the Calouste Gulbenkian Collection of Greek Coins, two parts in four volumes.   
2. RIC II.3.  The new revised edition of the venerable Roman series.
3. Roman Silver Coins.  Vols. I-V.  Another classic.
4. A Dictionary of Ancient Greek Coins and A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins, both by John Melville Jones.

Anaximander

Gulbenkian collection is excellent!

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 07:24:57 am »
While PMah is sunning in warm climes, he is no doubt reflecting on his 2019 acquisitions of numismatic books (that and hunting down his next banana daquiri).  Given his inclination to take photos of his books to post online, perhaps he will consider gracing us with a 'shelfie.'  That term was used by Wayne Homren (Editor, The E-Sylum) in his 2019 ANA diary, part 2.

I might deign to reciprocate, but it's going to be a while.  I'm boxing up the house, including my books, for yet another long distance move. At least this one isn't trans-Atlantic, like the last two. 

Anaximander

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 09:46:56 pm »
I did not want February to expire without fulfilling Anaximander's wish in part.  I was able to secure large quantities of near-frozen mixed drinks.

I cannot provide a "shelfie" this year, as most of my books are in storage, pending an eternal renovation.  It quite literally looks like this: 

(Those of you in the USA will recognize the cold, hard, corrugated steel of a storage unit.)

Paul 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 09:52:50 pm »
However, I can supply "deskies" -- numismatic books so poorly organized that they have remained on my desk for months.
 At least they were not banished to a storage unit in Long Island City, Queens.

I can start with the Two Michaels:

Michael Grant, From Imperium to Auctoritas: A Historical Study of Aes Coinage in the Roman Empire, 49 B.C.–A.D. 14. Cambridge University Press, 1946.

and
Michael H Crawford, Roman Republican Coin Hoards, RNS, 1969

Paul 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 10:01:13 pm »
I really should apologize for the photos.  The phone photo taken inside a storage unit is sharper than an older digital camera taken under three halogen lights.

In any case,speaking of things that need cases, here is an unusual acquisition, 

E. Haeberlin, "Aes Grave, das Schwergeld Roms und Mittelitaliens", plates volume, 103 plates, and a whopping 13 1/2" x 18".  These cast pieces are reproduced essentially at actual size.

This is the Forni reprint, c. 1967.   (One of our colleagues on this board kindly put it out for adoption.)

To give a sense of the size, I have placed one of my specimens atop the relevant page, Tafel 31.

Paul 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 10:08:24 pm »
But I do not merely forget to shelve coin books.  I often forget to shelve other books, including ancient history and archaeology.  
Here are just two examples that I forgot to shelve from 2019 acquisitions:

Eric E. Poehler, The Traffic Systems of Pompeii, Oxford Univ Press, 2017

and

Erich S. Gruen, Culture and National Identity in Republican Rome, Cornell Univ Press, 1992

The Poehler book was quite interesting on a (literally) narrow topic.  It suffers a bit from extremely small, often unlabelled, street maps that use nearly microscopic shading to distinguish important features.

Gruen is on the "to read" pile.

Paul 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 10:30:50 pm »
Do I simply purchase books and not shelve them?  No.  Sometimes I am given books, and who am I to shelve a gift?

Paul 

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 10:40:43 pm »
Finally, and I hope I am not reposting this, I leave catalogs unshelved just as easily as I leave books unshelved.

Here are three Italo Vecchi catalogs, Nos. 3, 5, and 9.  Number 3 from Sept 1996 is particularly interesting as it consists entirely of struck bronze coins of the Roman Republic

Here are three NAC catalogs, 6, 11, and 23, nice in themselves.  But more importantly, they are from Forum Ancient Coins.  As I have previously noted, Forum wraps and ships numismatic literature very carefully.  Some day, I will unwrap these, but I will never re-wrap them as well as Forum.

Finally, those of you wondering if I only purchase catalogs in groups of three can put your concerns to rest.  I have proof that sometimes I pile up just a single catalog:  here is Sternberg XXXII, just a few weeks later in 1996 than Vecchi 3.   Many Roman Republic coins with useful notes.    This catalog proved difficult to find, and I grabbed it the first time I could.  (Thanks also to board member Andrew McCabe, for citing this catalog among his notes on his website.)

Paul 

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 10:52:35 pm »
Wow!  That E. Haeberlin, "Aes Grave, das Schwergeld Roms und Mittelitaliens" is fantastic!  I'd love to get a copy of that.  And HN Italy!  I've been after one of those for a while.  Nice books Pmah

Offline PMah

• Caesar
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 11:04:01 pm »
For those of you who have not yet run screaming for the exits, I promise this is the last post of this bunch.

Here is a slightly different type of acquisition.

For a variety of reasons, mostly to do with space limitations, I started keeping many of my coins and supplies in briefcases, specifically vintage briefcases of various sorts. The better ones for coins are particularly sturdy.  I came upon the idea about 6 years ago only after thoughtlessly tossing out my Dad's old 1960s Samsonite hardsider.  So, when I come across one at a flea market, I will examine it and sometimes I re-adopt one.

Last weekend, in the recycling area of my building, I came across two Samsonite hard-siders, one with the rotor-combo and one with key locks.  I think circa 1975 models.   They had been heavily used, I think by someone in an optical line of work.  They had also been kept someplace very dusty for many years.  Some of you will have seen such micro-dirt in briefcases; it is very difficult to remove.

On some past attempts, I gave up -- I have been unable to completely rid a case of mold or superfine dust or whatever.  

These two at first did not look good.  I did not take "before" photos, but I did take "in media res" photos.  I was able to strip out the grungy, melting, fake-leather document pockets and do a deep cleaning.  Then, I took heavy acrylic felt (the hobby store kind) and re-lined both the top and the bottom, with almost complete coverage, sealing in any micro-whatevers that survived the Clorox.   I used green felt on these.  

The final photo shows these cases (bottom two) joining a predecessor (top).  Eventually, before a final polish of the exterior, I will use a dremel tool to remove the prior owner's initials from the latch plates (thank you, D.G., wherever you are) and replace them with case numbers.  

Paul 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity