Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Probus — Victoriae Avg  (Read 1785 times)

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
Probus — Victoriae Avg
« on: August 12, 2017, 05:11:07 pm »
One of the recently acquired Holy Grails of a Probus collector. I've been looking for one of those for... a long time.

RIC 799; Alföldi type 88, n° 4; Siscia. Bust type G, (E1). Denomination: Antoninianus.

OBV.: IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG

Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield.
Pseudo-Corinthian helmet.
Pointed spear. Shield bordered with rivets and studded.
Lorica hamata.

REV.: VICTORIAE AVG

Two Victories standing face to face, clasping hands before palm-tree.

Mintmark: // KAQ  

G/<

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Probus — Victoriae Avg
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:38:38 pm »
Wow, a great example too.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:07:06 am »
Huhh,

Great coin with great condition.

Congratulation.  +++

My example are Alföldi type 88 and No 1, ( the avers legend are: IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG)
In my Probus Siscia Gallery :

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-77317

But not the same good condition  :-\

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

SEstiot

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:39:16 pm »
To Vrtsprb (acronym for Virtus Probi ?)
Very nice coin!, in a perfect state of conservation and exceptionally rare: as I know 15 examples of this coin (same bust on the obverse and same reverse VICTORIAE AVG //KAQ) with the titulature IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG, I have registered only 2 coins similar to yours, i.e. with the titulature IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG. I would be very interested in knowing its weight and axis, if possible.
All the best,
S. Estiot

SEstiot

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 01:56:25 pm »

PS. A few details to add.
I have checked more carefully my archive, and correct immediately what I said supra: looking more carefully to one of the 2 examples similar to yours (a coin in Madrid in a very bad state of conservation), I think the exergue is // KAP (which makes an unicum of this coin!). The only remaining coin similar to yours (//KAQ) comes from the sale Emporium 66, 17-18/11/2011, 504, apparently from other dies (but the Emporium picture is not good...).
Your coin shares its reverse dies with 4 coins IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG.
Last info : Alföldi 88, 4 gives the reference "Gn, Naville", I never had the opportunity to get across these coins : the Gnecchi coll. is in Rome, Museo Nazionale, and very hard to see, Naville would refer to Ars Classica catalogues and I didn't find which one.
S. Estiot

SEstiot

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 02:03:59 pm »
PPS. Hello Grzegorz! I just realized, reading some posts, that Vrtsprb is your alias (there are a few weeks I didn't look at FAC discussions)...

Offline Barnaba6

• Consul
  • Gallery of the year 2019 award winner
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:23:07 am »
Dear Grzegorz,

Congratulations once again for obtaining this great and rare coin in a truly splendid condition!

I have 4 other Alfoldi 88.4 specimens in my Probus database, one - as you know - being in my collection (from Rauch auction 96 lot 504):

1. My specimen (Rauch auction 96 lot 504):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6197&pos=271

2. S. Hilande collection (you need to scroll down the page a bit in order to get to the Victoriae Avg)

http://virtvsprobi.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-01-01T19:21:00%2B01:00&max-results=7&start=21&by-date=false

3. Auction Emporium 66/504 (already cited by Sylviane Estiot supra)
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1143620

4.Rauch summer auction 2013 lot 931
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1679669

Regards,

Barnaba
Gallery of the year 2019 award winner

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=43425

SEstiot

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 07:19:57 am »

Thank so much to Barnaba for these additions to the Alf. 88, 4 entry !

More about Alföldi 88 : What could be added is that Alföldi 88 quotes VICTORIAE AVG coins, two Victories clasping hands in front of a palm-tree, and the titulature IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG with the exergues //KAP (Alf. 88,1), //KAT (Alf. 88, 2, an unicum from Budapest, confirmed as I saw it there), //KAQ (Alf. 88, 3) and with the titulature IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG with the exergue //KAQ (Alf. 88, 4), but there are coins IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG with the exergue //KAS too, which Alföldi didn't know (Alf. 88, -) : 2 coins registered.
The case of the Madrid coin mentioned above IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, and //KAP has to be confirmed (Alf. 88, -) as the Madrid coin is in a very bad state which makes the reverse die comparison with the coins  IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG //KAP impossible.
S. Estiot

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 09:33:13 am »
To Vrtsprb (acronym for Virtus Probi ?)
Very nice coin!, in a perfect state of conservation and exceptionally rare: as I know 15 examples of this coin (same bust on the obverse and same reverse VICTORIAE AVG //KAQ) with the titulature IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG, I have registered only 2 coins similar to yours, i.e. with the titulature IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG. I would be very interested in knowing its weight and axis, if possible.

Dear Sylviane,

Yes, you are correct — after a ten year absence here at FAC my previous "virtus probi" account has vanished, yet I wanted to make a distinction between my previous pronouncements in the archives and my "new" presence, hence this abbreviated form.

Thank you for your notes. I will e-mail the weight and axis ASAP. I'm ashamed to say that I'm perhaps a somewhat ambitious collector, but not a very good one — I've largely neglected noting axis & diameter of coins. Until now. Barnaba has been a very good influence on how to be a better collector! After viewing his collection here on FAC, I've also started adding axis & diameter on probvs.net  Which is now, albeit too slowly, undergoing a general overhaul and revision.

My best regards as always,

G/<

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 09:41:38 am »
Thank you everyone. More of a response than I bargained for, and with interesting additional information!

G/<

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 10:30:52 am »
G/<,
It's just the attention that should be due an outstanding example of a rare coin.
Martin

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 05:17:04 pm »
It's just the attention that should be due an outstanding example of a rare coin.

I've also enjoyed the attention paid to your interesting Lugdunum piece and will be sure to add the info to the appropriate page.

G/<

P.S. Amusingly, I found a note from you on another forum about needing to point out my typo on RIC 804 page.
I fixed it, and no longer need a reminder! :D

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 08:17:16 am »

It seems that this variant is not so rare - another Alf 88/4 specimen was sold at ebay 2014/3/8 251468625419

Teutoburgium

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 08:52:11 am »
Hi Teutoburgium,

May be you right, but this coin not only rare,   but exceptionally nicely preserved too... +++

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Barnaba6

• Consul
  • Gallery of the year 2019 award winner
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 08:54:36 am »

It seems that this variant is not so rare - another Alf 88/4 specimen was sold at ebay 2014/3/8 251468625419

Well, I guess everybody has his or her own definition of "rare". You have just cited the 6th known specimen of this type on the market. So if we add the 2 specimens cited by Alfloldi we currently have only 8 specimens registered of Alfoldi 88/4. To me that is still a very small number and I still consider this type as very rare. To be precise, I consider any coin which is known in less than 10 specimens as very rare and rare if it is known in 10-20 specimens.  Apparently your criteria of rarity are much more strict:)
Gallery of the year 2019 award winner

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=43425

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 11:40:48 pm »
[...] To be precise, I consider any coin which is known in less than 10 specimens as very rare and rare if it is known in 10-20 specimens. [...]

If I see another unknown one of these within a year, I will be happy to call mine just "scarce". ;)

G/<

All coins are guaranteed for eternity