Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266541 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Meepzorp's coin website
« Reply #1450 on: February 18, 2022, 08:52:11 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I re-arranged and re-organized 3 Roman Imperial, Octavian/Augustus, Silver pages. I also created 3 new pages. I converted Parts 4-6 into Parts 6-11.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1451 on: February 19, 2022, 08:57:37 am »
Hi folks,

I just re-arranged and re-organized 3 Roman Imperial, Octavian/Augustus, Silver pages. I also created 2 new pages. I converted Parts 1-3 into Parts 1-5.

I am now finished re-arranging and re-organizing my Roman Imperial, Octavian/Augustus pages. I think those pages turned out well. They are certainly more organized. I tried to group certain types and styles together. For example, my Emerita coins have their own page (Part eight), and my Peloponnesos coins have their own page (Part 9). I also moved one coin (RIC 299) to a different page (Part 13). Additionally, by splitting pages, I accommodated for future growth.

Next, I need to add my new arrivals to my website. Of course, in this case, my "new arrivals" are any coins I received within the past 2 months.

Meepzorp

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #1452 on: February 20, 2022, 04:20:51 pm »
Meepzorp, I wasn't on these boards for a long time. It seems that one great loss I suffered from my absence is failing to learn of your site until now! Since yesterday I've strolled through most of the RPC and plan to keeping going through all the rest.

There's much to say and much already said; I'll just add that I very much appreciate that you've included so many old collector and dealer tags! (I dream of a future database in which images of old tags are indexed so we can figure out who produced our tags and to whom their coins once belonged. It would also include translations of collectors' codes and abbreviations -- such as BCD's, some of which have been explained here and on other coin discussion sites, and many examples of which are thankfully transcribed in Forum's sold coins archives.)

I have photographs/scans of many of my tags, but I'm realizing I need to capture the rest, since I'd like to check and compare some against the ones you've shown, but they're in the safety deposit box now. I really feel like I recognize at least one of the tags for your "Judaea, Aelia Capitolina (Jerusalem), Elagabalus, AE 29, 15.35g" -- not the Spartan one, but the old collector labels (page LINK). Perhaps one of them is a Lord Grantley? (I'll double-check when I can, it may match a label for my Pyrrhos bronze from the Grantley Coll.)

Interesting to notice trends in tag styles over the history of collecting. At different times (probably in different countries as well), I think many collectors even tended to use similar sets of colors in ink (e.g., black & red on white seems to have been a common one from mid-20th century and earlier; I think red & blue, sometimes with black, became popular in the late 20th and continues). And it always gives a bit of nostalgia to see tags from old dealers no longer around, such as the Colosseum Coin Exchange tags, one of the coolest dealer logos in my opinion. (One of my first, and thus among my favorite, coins was a little Aegina Turtle Drachm -- image LINK HERE, will update w/ Forum Gallery link ASAP -- that I bought from a CCE mail bid sale ca. 1990-2, possibly CCE 53 (22 Jan 1991), though I've lost the catalogs and labels/receipts years ago).
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1453 on: February 20, 2022, 07:33:37 pm »
Hi CJJ,

Thanks for the comment.

Since you weren't a Forum member when I began this project, the fact hat I wanted to post photos of my dealer tags (along with photos of my coins) is one of the reasons why I created my own website instead of using Forum's gallery.

It is interesting that you mentioned Lord Grantley. Those old tags with that Aelia Capitolina coin may be his. I don't know because the dealer didn't provide any ownership history. You are the first person to point it out. If that coin really is from the Lord Grantley collection, that would be really cool.

Speaking of Lord Grantley, I have a Corinth coin from his collection. You may have seen it.

Here is a link (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_corinth_pt01.htm

Regarding the Corinth coin, the dealer did the opposite. He provided a pedigree, but not the original tags.

I think I have another coin from the Lord Grantley collection. I remember posting it. But offhand, I can't remember which one it is.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1454 on: February 20, 2022, 09:30:51 pm »
Hi folks,

I just split my Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 10 page into 2 pages. I created a Part 11 page. I did this to accommodate future growth. There were already 4 coins in that page, and I will be adding 2 more in the coming weeks.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1455 on: February 21, 2022, 04:03:56 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one coin to each of my following website pages:

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 1 (third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ar01.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 11 (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ar11.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Bronze, Part 6 (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ae06.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Teanum Sidicinum (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_teasid.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them within the past 2 months.

Meepzorp

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #1456 on: February 21, 2022, 10:45:42 pm »
Ding-ding-ding! I knew that saving photos when I find old collection labels online would pay off eventually! (My imagined future database is in its infancy but I'm glad it's proving its value already.) I believe I've found a match for your Judaea Capotilina Elagabalus tag (LINK to page) -- not Grantley as I suspected, but an even better one I'd say. You'll notice that your tag is highly similar (in multiple ways) to the following tag, which is reportedly from Rev. Rogers Collection (current London Ancient Coins listing for a Lucius Verus of Gadara)!

Reverend Edgar Rogers (1873-1960/1?) is, of course, a great provenance for any coin. In addition to his famous coins of Thessaly, I believe he wrote a book citing many of his Holyland coins ('Handy guide to Jewish coins', 1914, is mentioned in his British Museum online bio: LINK and listed here in the Numiswiki under "Rogers Jewish" -- LINK complete with a link to the full-text of his "Handy Guide...", though it doesn't seem to illustrate your coin). I believe there may have been a few auctions of the Rogers Collection (including Naville X -- LINK via Uni Heidelberg Catalog Repository), but if yours is included in one it may not be illustrated or be in a group lot (or sold privately). Still worth checking if you track down the auctions!

It also looks like Rogers may have noted on the back that he bought your coin in Vienna, 1931?

Here is an example of a Rev Rogers tag:

You can find the URL for the VCoins listing in this imgur album: LINK. (So far that's the only tag I've uploaded, but I may start uploading more of the ones I've saved on my computer so others can browse them.)

I hope you don't mind me reproducing your tag images here (directly from your forum website image urls), but these are your tags:
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1457 on: February 22, 2022, 02:25:43 am »
Hi folks,

Greek Italy, Campania, Cales, Bronze, Part 1 (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_cales_ae01.htm

Greek Italy, Samnium, Aesernia (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_samnium_aesernia.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them within the past 2 months.

I am now finished posting my new arrivals, for now. I have another batch to post when I receive them, which includes 3 Campania MFB coins, 2 Augustus coins, and a Greek Sicily coin.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1458 on: February 22, 2022, 02:54:48 am »
Hi CJJ,

Thank you so much for the information. Yes, I do see the multiple similarities in the tags. I think you are right. My coin does appear to be from the Rev. Rogers collection.

No, I don't mind that you posted my tag photos here in this topic.

I updated the text in that page in my website to reflect this new information.

Please feel free to offer any advice in the future. As you can see, my website is a monumental undertaking that has consumed many years of my life. I began working on my my project in 2012. That was 10 years ago. I began working on my my website (which is Phase III of my project) in November 2015. That was 6 1/2 years ago. And I am still not finished yet. I can use all the help I can get, so please feel free to offer any advice or suggestions.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1459 on: February 23, 2022, 10:49:55 pm »
Hi folks,

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 11 (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ar11.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Bronze, Part 1 (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ae01.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Cales, Bronze, Part 1 (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_cales_ae01.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them yesterday.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1460 on: February 25, 2022, 12:46:59 am »
Hi folks,

Roman Provincial, Sicily, Uncertain mint (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_sicily_seg_uncer.htm

Roman Imperial, Octavian/Augustus, Bronze, Part 3 (third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_aug_ae_pt03.htm

Greek Sicily, Nakona (fourth coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gs_sicl_morg_nakona.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them 2 days ago.

I am now finished posting my new arrivals. Tomorrow, I should be able to resume adding new pages to my website.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1461 on: February 26, 2022, 07:02:08 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one page to my Modern World section:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mw_barb_belg.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1462 on: February 27, 2022, 07:59:50 am »
Hi folks,

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mw_canada_pt01.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1463 on: February 28, 2022, 12:03:57 pm »

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1464 on: March 05, 2022, 07:21:31 pm »
Hi folks,

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mw_canada_pt04.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1465 on: July 21, 2022, 05:02:32 am »
Hi folks,

As some Forum members are already aware, I haven't worked on my website since March. That was over 4 months ago. I had some things to take care of. I also had some setbacks (things going wrong, etc.).

The latest thing to go wrong is my mother's health. She is 80 years old now, and she is having some medical problems. She has been having a lot of back pain lately. She recently had 2 visits to "urgent care" facilities. She also had X-rays done. Fortunately, nothing is fractured. It was diagnosed as "compression" in her back. The situation now finally appears to be under control with medications, but she still has quite a bit of pain.

Hopefully, assuming that nothing else goes wrong, I should be able to resume working on my website some time within the next few days.

As usual, I have some "new arrivals" to add to my website. Of course, in this case, a "new arrival" is any coin that I received within the past few months (since March).

I also have a few website pages that I need to split to accommodate future growth. That is probably the first thing I will do.

Meepzorp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #1466 on: July 21, 2022, 06:05:06 pm »
All the best to your mother, looking forward to your site updates.

Virgil

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1467 on: July 21, 2022, 09:10:00 pm »
Hi VH,

Thanks for the message. :)

I may be able to resume working on my website tomorrow. I have few loose ends to tie up in my life (mundane things). Assuming I can get everything done today, I should be able to resume working on my website tomorrow.

I know for certain that I will need to split my website pages regarding 2 Greek Italy cities. Those 2 cities represented in my website are over-due for an overhaul. One of those cities (my Campania, Cales bronze pages) is especially in dire need of an overhaul and/or expansion (splitting of pages). My Campania, Cales, bronze, Part 1 page is already over-crowded (or on the verge of it), and I have more "new arrivals" to add to it. There are already 6 coins in that page, and I currently have 2 or 3 more to add to it. And in the near future, I may be adding even more. I may need to split that one page into 3 pages. That will give me 6 Campania, Cales bronze pages and one silver page.

As Forum members can easily figure out, I love Campania man-faced bull coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1468 on: July 22, 2022, 09:46:39 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I tried to resume working on my website for the first time since March 2022. I couldn't log into my hosted website. I couldn't connect to Joe's server suing Filezilla. I can't update my website until this issue gets resolved.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1469 on: August 05, 2022, 12:04:32 am »
Hi folks,

My FTP still isn't working. I am still waiting for Sorin to resolve the problem.

In the meantime, I discovered another problem. A few days ago, I tried to connect my old iPhone 4 to my HP laptop computer. And it wouldn't connect or sync. It took me a few days, but I finally resolved the problem.

So, I actually had 2 different technical problems occurring simultaneously. But one has been corrected.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1470 on: August 05, 2022, 11:26:52 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I developed another technical problem. This is the third technical problem that has occurred since I attempted to re-start working on my website.

Of course, the first technical problem is the fact that my FTP hasn't been been working for about 14 days now. I am still trying to get that problem resolved.

I described the second technical in my previous post here. My old iPhone 4 wouldn't sync with my HP laptop computer. I finally resolved that problem yesterday. Last night, I transferred almost 700 photos from my iPhone 4 to my HP laptop computer. I never have that many photos on my iPhone 4 at one time. I usually have about 100 photos on my iPhone 4 at any one given time. And I usually process them in batches of 100 or so. However, since my FTP isn't working, I just kept shooting more photos and storing them on my iPhone 4 until my FTP is working. It's a good thing I transferred my almost 700 photos to my computer last night because a third technical problem developed today.

Today, I attempted to shoot a few more photos, and my old iPhone 4 broke. It died right in the middle of my shooting photos. It is totally dead. There is nothing but a white apple flashing on the screen. If I hadn't transferred those almost 700 photos to my computer last night, I would have lost every one of them. And I would have had to re-shoot all of them.

For the past 7 years (since 2015), I have been using my old iPhone 4 to shoot my coin photos. Going forward, I will have to use a different device as a digital camera. I have an Android cell phone that is less than one year old. I guess that I will use that. I will have to figure out how to use it. And I assume that I will need to download a different app because iTunes only works with Apple products.

It seems that everything is going wrong at once. When it rains, it pours.

Meepzorp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #1471 on: August 06, 2022, 12:36:39 am »
Technology is always a limitation. Most digital photos these days will not be around in 20 years (or less), unlike film and prints that last for decades or centuries. That said, I transfer photos off my phone as soon as I take them and put them in folders that get backed up on the cloud. The thing that is nuts about even this is even those will not last, It is how things work these days. People take photos that are put on social media and looked at once and then immediately forgotten. After a few days, no one ever sees them again. Putting them on a web site or in a gallery gives them perhaps longer life, but all that is still limited. There will come a time when the web site and galleries are gone. I don't know what the answer is, people today don't even care about photo albums their relatives leave behind and eventually no one cares and I know my heirs are not going to go through my extensive folders and files of photos, some scanned from slides I took decades ago. I care about my trips to Turkey, literally no one else does. I get it.

Just musing. I have a few family photo albums that no one is going to want when I am gone and even I don't know who most of the people are in them. Reminds me of the stanza from the song, Green Field of France, about Willy McBride, who died in World War I:

and did you leave a wife or a sweetheart behind
in some loyal heart is your memory enshrined
and though you died back in 1916
to that loyal heart you're forever nineteen
or are you a stranger without even a name
forever enshrined behind some old glass pane
in an old photograph torn, tattered, and stained
and faded to yellow in a brown leather frame

Such is life. But honestly, the old photograph in a brown leather frame is way better than any digital photo.

Virgil

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1472 on: August 13, 2022, 06:25:31 am »
Hi folks,

My FTP is finally working. 3 weeks (21 days) ago, I attempted to split some of my website pages, but I couldn't proceed any further because my FTP wasn't working. Now that it is working again, I split pages in 5 sections of my website:

1) I split my 4 Greek Italy, Campania, Cales bronze pages into 6 pages.

2) I split my 2 Greek Italy, Campania, Capua pages into 3 pages.

3) I moved 2 coins from my Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis bronze Part 4 page to my Part 3 page.

4) I split my Greek Italy, Lucania, Thurium page into 2 pages.

5) I split my Greek Italy, Lucania, Velia page into 2 pages.

I did all of this to accommodate future growth. Since I haven't worked on my website since March, I have about 20 coins to add to it.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1473 on: August 13, 2022, 11:21:13 pm »
Hi folks,

Greek Italy, Calabria, Taras, Part 4 (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_calb_taras_pt04.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 1 (fourth coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ar01.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 9 (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ar09.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them within the past 5 months.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1474 on: August 14, 2022, 08:09:40 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 coins to my following website page:

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Bronze, Part 4 (second and third coins):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ae04.htm

I also added one coin to each of my following website pages:

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Bronze, Part 5 (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ae05.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis. Bronze, Part 6 (fourth coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ae06.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them within the past 5 months.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity