Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anastasius I tremissis - Gothic imitative or modern forgery?  (Read 772 times)

MCarvalho

Anastasius I tremissis - Gothic imitative or modern forgery?
« on: September 25, 2014, 03:46:02 pm »
Hi,

I open this post here because the type basis of this coins is byzantine (well, sort of a transitional coin...)

The coin (as the pics) isn't mine, and I didn't have the chance yet to personaly examine it and photograph it. It seems to have around 16 mm and <2 g (that's the only rough information I could collect right now).

My question is simple: is it a modern forgery, or could be some sort of barbaric imitation (Vandalic ou French Aquitania Visigothic - I exclude iberic imitation, but...)?

Thanks in advance and regards ;)

ADMIN: I UPLOADED THE NEW LARGER PHOTOS TO THIS POST.

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Anastasius I tremissis - Gothic imitative or modern forgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 12:03:33 pm »
The pictures aren't good enough to tell if it's a forgery or not (unless it's a well known type), but it certainly looks like a lot of barbarian imitation tremisses I have seen, though it's just a bit later than my period. You'd need a reply from someone who really knows the period and the types.

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

MCarvalho

Re: Anastasius I tremissis - Gothic imitative or modern forgery?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 11:07:02 am »
Thank you, Hydatius,  +++

I have new pics, and after that, I changed my opinion. I think it is a Justinian tremissis imitative, made by the Visigoths in Spain (in fact, it makes sense, as far as I know, the coin was found in Portugal.

It's a pre-national coinage, from the 6th century, a little before the Visigoths start mintend coins with their monarchs names.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity