Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Augustus denarius!! Comet!!  (Read 580 times)

Offline Marcelo Leal

• Consul
Augustus denarius!! Comet!!
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:40:45 pm »
Dear all,
my last acquisition!! An Augustus denarius not so easily found!! I hope you will like it!! +++

Weight: 3.1 grams
Diameter: 19 mm.

Best regards,
Marcelo Leal.
Augustus1975
Non omne quod fulget aurum est

Offline AncientJoe

• Praetorian
Re: Augustus denarius!! Comet!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:45:00 pm »
Congrats - I love this type!

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 08:40:06 am »
Hi folks,

I love the type too. They are not that rare. I'd say that they are "borderline scarce". They are nowhere near "rare" (not even a R1).

This type was one of the first ancient coins I ever bought. Mine is pretty worn ("Fine+" to "aVF"). I purchased it about 15 years ago as part of a bulk lot from a coin dealer in Germany.

As you may know, the reverse refers to a comet that was seen in the sky. I think it was during some type of festive games. People thought that the comet somehow represented a deified Julius Caesar.

Meepzorp

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:56:18 am »
What a fantastic coin!

People interested in astronomy may find it interesting to look up the comet.

It has the numerical designation "C/-43 K1" but may have disintegrated or left the solar system, as it is not known to be periodic.

It had an absolute magnitude of -4.0, and modern scholars believe that the same comet was also visible in China (as a tail) about a month prior to its display of maximum brightness during the festival of Ludi Victoriae Caesaris. It shone over a period of about a week.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity