Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Seal Greek Inscription (2)  (Read 705 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Lead Seal Greek Inscription (2)
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:01:09 am »
Here are two more seals.  I think they are 'of Mark, Archdeacon"  Do we have any historical references to this Mark, or for
Kallinikos, for that matter?  Thanks, V-drome

BCC Ls2                                          BCC Ls3
Lead Seal                                        Lead Seal
Late Roman - Early Byzantine          Late Roman - Early Byzantine
Obv: Monogram - MAPKOY?             Obv: Monogram - MAPKOY?
Rev: +ΑΡΧΙΔΙΟΚΟΝΟΥ                     Rev: ΑΡΧΙΔΙΟΚΟΝΟΥ
20X23mm. 10.71gm. Axis:0           18mm. 8.79gm. Axis:0

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Lead Seal Greek Inscription (2)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:07:00 am »
I agree with your reading and solution of the monogram - except 'diakonou' in stead of 'diokonou'. You would have to look up various prosopographic studies (like PMBZ - http://pom.bbaw.de/pmbz/index.html - I checked and our Markos and Kallinikos are not in there) to see if there's any additional information. But that does not happen often, especially if the individuals are of relatively modest rank.
(By the way: I split up the thread because this is a different seal type)
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity