Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Uncertain MFB  (Read 379 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Uncertain MFB
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:49:55 am »
I had to remove the original post because I named an expert who did not want to be named.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

MFB means Man-Faced Bull.

Here is the image again.

Nick

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Uncertain MFB
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:22 am »
Then I'll say again:
I'd be surprised if it was ancient.
Andreas Reich

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:28:00 am »
I have no idea as to its origin, or originality, but I kinda like it!!

It has a naivety I find very attractive, and I see often in Celtic imitations of Greek and Roman coins, almost as if the features are molded from plasticine..

( Indeed, the " Man-faced bull" shares the same lips as my  Imitative VICTORIA    

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-93000  

( Sorry to not add a thing to the knowledge gained on this thread, but I will watch with interest how the discussion plays out!!  :)  )

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:36:50 am »
Hi folks,

It is unfortunate that my previous 2 posts in this thread had to be deleted. I think I gave a lot of info to members of this forum who are not familiar with these types of coins.

I noticed that areich posted a new post with a quote from his deleted post. How did he do that? Can someone please re-post my deleted posts in this thread, of course, without the unwanted expert reference?

I just looked in SNG ANS. To me, it looks like an imitation (modern counterfeit?) of SNG ANS 549 (Sicily, Panormus).

Meepzorp

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:07:20 pm »
No magic, I just remembered what I said and used this button: to add it as a quote.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity