Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: help ID a couple Byzantine  (Read 1220 times)

Offline mssmall

• Legionary
help ID a couple Byzantine
« on: November 25, 2006, 12:38:39 pm »
I'm working on an uncleaned lot and here are some of the nicer ones.  I'm kind of new to Byzantines and not so great at ID'ing.  I'm guessing the last two might be Constans II.  I have no clue on the first one.  Each is 23mm at the widest point.  Thanks

Offline byzantiumcoins

• Consul
Re: help ID a couple Byzantine
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 04:01:32 am »
very nice !
They are not really Byzantine, but so called Pseudo-Byzantine coins dating from the early Islamic conquest of Syria. ( 7th cent. )
All three are very good examples for this first stage of Arab-Byzantine coinage imitating Byzantine coins of Heraclius and Constans II.
Especially the first one in your row is a fantastically detailed specimen of these mostly very crude issues.

Byzantiumcoins

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 07:10:06 am »
I can't find an example of the first one, but it might be Goodwin type H Pseudo-Byzantine coin, which has a bearded bust obverseType H is not illustrated in Sylloge of Islamic Coins in the Ashmolean, Volume 1.  Looks like I might have to break down one of these days and buy Goodwin's new book on Arab-Byzantine coins.

The second one is a regular Arab-Byzantine coin, showing the standing emperor.  It was minted at Hims (Emesa).  It matchs SICA 537/ 

The last coin is another Pseudo-Byzantine coin and it is Goodwin Type E.  It matches SICA 525.

Offline byzantiumcoins

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 08:11:17 am »

The second one is a regular Arab-Byzantine coin, showing the standing emperor.  It was minted at Hims (Emesa).  It matchs SICA 537/ 

Dear Howard,

sorry if I insist, but no. 2 is definitely Pseudo-Byzantine, not HIMS, SICA 537 - look at the small m instead of the capital M for instance.
Btw, Goodwin´s new book is worth buying it.

Kind regards
Byzantiumcoins

Offline mssmall

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:15:44 am »
Thanks for the info.  I'll have to look up more information on this type.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 06:24:33 am »

Dear Howard,

sorry if I insist, but no. 2 is definitely Pseudo-Byzantine, not HIMS, SICA 537 - look at the small m instead of the capital M for instance.
Btw, Goodwin´s new book is worth buying it.

Kind regards
Byzantiumcoins

You are right.  I was just looking at what looked like an Arabic inscription in the exergue.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity